Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Binky Weaning?

I am thinking DD is old enough now to lose the binky... she loves it so much though.  If any of you have done this... two questions:

How old was your child at weaning?

How did you do it?  Or did your child initiate?  

TIA! 

DD #1 Eva- April 2011
DD #2 Violet- October 2013
DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

Re: Binky Weaning?

• Options

Our little guy just gave his up. It actually was much easier this time than with my older son. We started with limiting its use to only at nap and nighttime around age 1. Sometime around 20 months, we started only leaving 1 in the bed instead of 2 also.

Then around a month ago (25 months) he bit a hole in the pacifier and we only had 1 more without a hole. We tried throwing the broken one away and going without it and he just screamed, it was awful. So I gave him the last one without a hole and told him when it broke, then pacis would be all gone. It lasted about 2.5 weeks and he bit  a hole in it. So we let him have the one with a hole in it for naps/night for 2 days and then it disappeared. (I took it out of the bed when he wasn't looking.) Once it had a hole in it, it really lost all appeal and he was holding it in his hand rather than having it in his mouth.

We didn't talk about it anymore when it disappeared, just encouraged him to snuggle his stuffed puppy and go to sleep. I watched him on the monitor the first night and he looked around for it for a minute and then laid down and went to sleep. He's been paci free for a week now. Sometimes it takes him a little longer to fall asleep, but the amount of sleep is the same for both nap and nighttime. It was painless!

I was so shocked. He has loved his paci since he was a tiny guy and used to sleep with one in his mouth and one in his hand. I thought losing the paci was going to be a screamfest, but I guess he was ready. Honestly, if he hadn't chewed up the last ones we had, I was ready to let him keep it until he was 3 as long as it was only for sleeping.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We just did this two weeks ago! My child is 28 months old.  We went to the dentist for the first time and got a speech about overbites, then the speech therapist on the same day gave us a speech about how it was affecting his jaw.  He was only using it at night.  At the speech therapist's recommendation, we cut off the entire bulb and handed it to him without saying a word.  He looked horrified and asked about it.  We both told him it broke and so he'd have to go to bed without it.  We let him have it to hold at night.  He asked about it a couple nights in a row and held onto the carcass of the one we gave him.  :)  One night he had a nightmare and was screaming for it and couldn't calm down, so we gave in that night with an extra we kept.  Other than that one time, he's now gone about 2.5 weeks without it and stopped asking for it after the second day.  It was really much easier than I ever dreamed it would be and we probably should have done it a lot sooner than we did.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    our pedi wants it done by a year, I kind of tried then by cutting the tip, but it didn't help at all.  At 18 months I was pg with #2, so I was beginning to worry about how she'd be when the baby had his.  She also had a cold and I was totally grossed out with the snot all over the things.  I was just done with it, so I took her around the house, we put them all in a basket as I was telling her we were giving them to the babies, and that was the end of it.  She actually did really well.  The 1st night she went to sleep fine, but woke up very early and cried for about 2 hours, but after that it was over and she never looked back.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options

My daughter was 2 and one week. She was really attached. I took her to build a bear, paid for the bear with binkies, bought a dream lite/pillow pet thing, and said a lot of bye bye binky's hoping she'd understand.

the first night sucked, she cried a lot for a couple hours and I rubbed her back to sleep and kept telling her the truth- binky's all gone and we went to build a bear.  It was so sad. But nap time the next day actually wasn't too bad. She was fine by a couple of days later and forgot about it completely a week later. 

I tried to stick to comforting her but not becoming her new crutch either. So I did a lot of going in her room when she cried but not staying very long. (Except the first night). It was really hard on me because I felt so bad. I almost wish I would have weaned her slowly instead but oh well! It's one of those things that is hard no matter what you do, but it needs to be done (for us anyway). Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Around 2 he was not allowed to have it out of his crib.  A few months ago he had a cold and bit a hole in the end of his last one and that was the end of it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We literally dropped it about a week and a half ago....so DS is 26 months. We literally just took them away cold turkey. He was only using them for naps/night time sleep (but wasn't using them for naps at daycare and slept fine there), so we just told him they went "bye bye". He still asks most nights but he never asks at nap time, which I assume is b/c he was used to that from daycare and he only naps with us on weekends anyway. Every time he asks I say "Remember? They went bye bye" and he just kind of drops it. The first night was a little rough and he woke up a lot, but he seems fine now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    On DD's first birthday, I tossed all pacifiers. She cried that night for just a little bit but that was the end of it.  We never had a problem with it.  She learned to self-soothe in other ways.  She is now 3 and still to this day sings herself to sleep :)  I have a friend who's DD just turned 3 and is potty training so she didn't want to take her paci away at the same time, but her Pedi told her she's developing an overbite so it's gotta go.  Just don't wait too long!  Good Luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"