Success after IF
Options

Allergy/BF/Formula/Life Frustration (Sorry, Long!)

Hi Ladies - Sorry I've been MIA. Life has been nuts around here. After 6 weeks of EBF, DS started having terrible stools. First they were just green, so the LC & Doc both suggested block feeding to see if it was foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. After almost a week of stools getting worse (more mucous and bloody), they suggested cutting out dairy. After 7 days of being dairy free (even hidden dairy), we were at the point where it didn't even look like poop anymore - just dark green mucous and blood. The doc strongly suggested we try alimentum for a week or so just to give his gut a rest and see if we could bring him back to baseline. Meanwhile, I'm continuing to be dairy free and now I'm soy free too in the hopes that another week will get me that much cleaner and then we can re-introduce my milk into his healed belly. I'm pumping to try to keep up my supply, but I'm worried about that. Of course the LC thinks I shouldn't have 'given in' and tried the alimentum, the doc knows that I want to BF and is also concerned about the baby's gut getting so torn up that he isn't getting nutrients anymore. I'm so frustrated. Thank goodness it's weekend because DH is doing almost everything baby related while I am connected to the pump constantly! 

ARGH I say! Before this, I was pumping about once a day after a feeding to give Daddy a few bottles a week and start my stash. (A stash that is tainted with allergens now!) Luckily he is happy to take a bottle and didn't turn his nose up at this (expensive, stinky) formula. He's also not crying in pain, and today's poop didn't have blood. That's all good. But last night he was fussy and didn't understand why I wouldn't open my shirt, and then had a hard time falling asleep because he's used to nursing to sleep. (That would have been a problem eventually I guess, but I wasn't ready for it at just under 8 weeks.) 

I'm hoping to go back to BF, and I know the party line is that BF is best, but if we can't figure out the allergen then I'm not the best source of his food. And honestly, I don't think I could be a good parent on the total elimination diet because I'd be so stressed and depressed. So if this is the turn our life takes, then so be it, right? 

I think maybe over all the years of IF I got this rose colored view of what babies would be like. Some of the difficulties are hard, but I figure they're something everyone deals with. This is nothing I thought about!

If you are still reading, here's a cookie for you. :) 

Married 6/08, TTC 7/09
MC w/ D&C 3/11 ~ 9.5 weeks
CP/MC 1/12 ~ 5 weeks
2 IUI's w/ BFN
IVF 6/12 ~ 8R, 0F ~ Rescue ISCI gave us 3dt of 2 (6 cell, 9+ cell)
DS born ~ 3/3/13
IVF 6/14 ~ Operation Sibling ~ 10R, 5F ~ 5dt of 1 Blast
Beta 1: 1600+, Beta 2: 4588
Everyone Welcome!
image image
Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: Allergy/BF/Formula/Life Frustration (Sorry, Long!)

• Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    Hang in there momma!!! That sounds awefulyour poor little guy. I'm glad it's getting better for him.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options

Wow. I am sorry you are going through this.  You sound so much like myself...only LO could never latch because he was so tiny and weak so I had to pump around the clock, take all sorts of supps and drugs to keep up supply, etc.

My LO had a milk protein intolerance and GERD.  To be honest with you, life got so, so, so much easier and everyone was happier (and LO was healthier!) when I switched him to Alimentum.  I made myself miserable over the whole breastfeeding thing for the first 8-9 weeks and now I look back and just think, "What was I thinking?"  LO has done so much better on the Alimentum and after about a week on it, we had an entirely new baby.  Just my experience, but if the Alimentum is working, I would not beat myself up or make myself miserable trying to go to the ends of the earth to *make* something work that just isn't working.  Just my two cents.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageIBackBevo:

Just my experience, but if the Alimentum is working, I would not beat myself up or make myself miserable trying to go to the ends of the earth to *make* something work that just isn't working.  Just my two cents.

Thanks for that. :)

I'm leaning that way, because taking dairy out is one thing, but past that it gets a little insane. I keep telling myself that if I was willing to jab needles in my stomach why can't I handle the thought of a limited diet? But a) the needles were just for a couple weeks and b) there WAS no other option. I didn't pick the needles over plain ole regular baby making! :)

Married 6/08, TTC 7/09
    CP/MC 1/12 ~ 5 weeks
    2 IUI's w/ BFN
    DS born ~ 3/3/13
    Everyone Welcome!
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker image

• Options
    Feeding issues in out little ones are so hard! It sounds like you made a wise choice to listen to your doc and start your lo on the alimentium.

As far as continuing to pump and to try an elimination diet, you are going to have to go with your gut on that one. Try not to feel guilted into continuing with trying to provide breast milk. Sometimes BM is the best thing for an LO and sometimes it is formula. For me and my LO, it turns out formula was the way to go.

DS had feeding issues and I had a low supply and I felt liberated when I gave up pumping. The time it took away from quality time with my baby just simply wasnt worth it. I decided that my baby needed me more than the meager BM I was trying to provide.

The decision is never easy, though. Hugs.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    So sorry you are having such troubles. I hope your little man heals up and feels better soon. Good luck with your decision on BF or formula going forward. 
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Options

I know the party line that BF is "best" but honestly, many of us were raised on formula completely and are totally fine. The most important thing is that your baby's digestive system heals and that YOU are happy and doing okay.

It sounds like the Alimentum is working - so why drive yourself crazy and and go on the total elimination diet? 

My LO is on Alimentum as well as he had terrible gas problems in the beginning that prevented him from sleeping well and he was in so much pain. I am SO glad we found Alimentum and he's really become a different baby on it. Anyway, just don't feel like you "have" to go back to BFing if that's not what is going to work for your family. Your baby got plenty of good nutrients and antibodies the first 6 weeks or so that you BF'd.

Hugs!!

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Options
    I could throat punch that LC for making you feel guilty! You made the decision that was right for you and your LO. There are just too many people out there who want to make moms feel like we are doing something wrong if we make a choice that is different than theirs. I say F them. I can't imagine how difficult it was to watch your LO get sicker and sicker, and it sounds like you tried to make changes before trying formula. If it works out that you can and WANT to BF after this then I say go for it. But if you decide that formula is what's best for your family then that's great too. You worked too hard to have your LO to spend these infant months tying yourself in knots about BFing issues. I am so sorry that you and your LO have been through so much! (((hugs)))
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    You guys rock. Thanks for giving me support and the reminder that life will go on!
    Married 6/08, TTC 7/09
    CP/MC 1/12 ~ 5 weeks
    2 IUI's w/ BFN
    DS born ~ 3/3/13
    Everyone Welcome!
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker image

• Options
    First of all, huge hugs to you. You and LO have certainly been through a lot. And i hope things get better really soon. Secondly, I agree with everything PPs have said. You have to do what is best for everyone involved, including you. Happy mom equals happy baby. And I'm glad you got a lot of great support. However, I do want to add a pro breastfeeding comment as well. Yes, dairy and soy free is hard. But it gets much easier when get used to the diet and the restrictions. And it is possible to continue having a normal life and a great BFing relationship if milk and or soy is the problem. The bf board has a check in on Mondays where we talk about how the diet is going, what we struggle with, recipes, successes etc. I've been dairy, soy, and gluten free all year and it's second nature now. Of course, with that being said, if it doesn't work for your whole family, or it doesn't clear up LO's issues, or you just don't want to, that is totally fine too. I just wanted to let you know that if this is the path you choose, it can be done and there is support out there. Again, big hugs and I hope this came across as support, not bf naziism
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    I made myself feel guilty for switching to EFF at first too. Once I let it go, we were all so much happier and I wasn't stressed anymore. I hope your little guy's stomach feels better! It's so sad to see these itty bittys feeling bad!

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options

I'm so sorry that sounds like such a rough experience for both you and baby! I love nursing, but having to cut so many things out of my diet would be sad. I don't know if I would have been able to succeed under those circumstances.

I hope you are able to find out what is making him sick so that you can resume nursing. And if not, you certainly gave it a rockstar effort so don't beat yourself up about it. You are doing a great job doing the best for your baby! :)

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageTJ1979:
    First of all, huge hugs to you. You and LO have certainly been through a lot. And i hope things get better really soon. Secondly, I agree with everything PPs have said. You have to do what is best for everyone involved, including you. Happy mom equals happy baby. And I'm glad you got a lot of great support. However, I do want to add a pro breastfeeding comment as well. Yes, dairy and soy free is hard. But it gets much easier when get used to the diet and the restrictions. And it is possible to continue having a normal life and a great BFing relationship if milk and or soy is the problem. The bf board has a check in on Mondays where we talk about how the diet is going, what we struggle with, recipes, successes etc. I've been dairy, soy, and gluten free all year and it's second nature now. Of course, with that being said, if it doesn't work for your whole family, or it doesn't clear up LO's issues, or you just don't want to, that is totally fine too. I just wanted to let you know that if this is the path you choose, it can be done and there is support out there. Again, big hugs and I hope this came across as support, not bf naziism

Thanks. It isn't Naziism when someone has been successful and gives me hope. :) at first I thought we could figure out the allergens while he was still BF but I went along with the trial to see if we could at least start from clean slate. Thanks for the heads up on the check in! 

Married 6/08, TTC 7/09
    CP/MC 1/12 ~ 5 weeks
    2 IUI's w/ BFN
    DS born ~ 3/3/13
    Everyone Welcome!
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker image

• Options
    ccamccam member
    Good luck in whatever you end up deciding to do.  BFing, switching to formula, etc was the hardest thing that we went through.  Ultimately, you have to do what's best for both of you.  A happy mom = a happy baby

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options

I am sorry things have been so rough for you and your LO!  I hope things get better for you both soon!

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • Options

I just wanted to wish you GL with your decision. We had a lot of these same issues in the beginning and it was a difficult decision for us trying to decide what path to take moving forward. Bottom line is you have to do what is right for you and your family and you can't listen to anyone else (other than your doc of course). We did make the decision to continue BF but for the first month I still constantly struggled with whether or not I had made the right decision. As PP said, eventually things did get easier.

No matter what you decide to do, try not to feel guilty - easier said than done I know.

In my experience when your LO has allergies it seems as though everyone has an opinion. If you choose to continue BF everyone will ask you why you didn't just switch to formula, if you switch to formula some people will TRY to make you feel guilty for not continuing to BF. F em all. Do what is right for YOU and don't look back. I spent so much time worrying about what others had to say about the situation and it didn't matter at the end of the day because it wasn't anyones' business but ours.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"