Single Parents
Options

BD question for birth certificate

The BD is denying paternity and I expect that he will do so until the child support system forces him to give a DNA sample. I plan on putting him on the birth certificate as the father because he is, undoubtedly. Is there any reason I couldn't or shouldn't do this?

Re: BD question for birth certificate

• Options
    The paperwork I was given at the hospital required a signature from the father to be filed and valid. Not sure if that's everywhere, though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageRunaway22:
    The paperwork I was given at the hospital required a signature from the father to be filed and valid. Not sure if that's everywhere, though.

Ditto this!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im not going to put BD on the BC. I will not be going after him for child support. I don't want my child to have anything to do witb him. He left the state after I told him I was expecting.
  • Options
    I would look at your state laws- many require that if you aren't legally married an acknowledgment of paternity has to be signed in order for the father's name to be listed on the birth certificate. 
  • Options
    IMO I wouldn't even bother putting his name on the birth certificate. My child's father, aka sperm donor, denied up and down that this baby is his and took off. Any human being that just takes off doesn't deserve to be on the birth certificate or in the child's life but that's my opinion.
  • Options
    I think PP are correct that most states require the father to acknowledge paternity by signing a form before he can be put on the birth certificate. Otherwise you could claim whoever you wanted was he father! Sorry your BD is a PIA!

The father of my LO was supposed to show up in the hospital to meet LO and sign the paperwork and instead he just sent me a message to go ahead and sign whatever for him because he couldn't make it. Uh huh. Court is fun.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He would have to sign it for him to go on the birth certificate. However, he seems like an and I would wonder why you'd even want his name on the birth certificate in the first place. My BD will NOT be on my daughter's birth certificate, for damn sure.
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• Options
    In Michigan the father can sign paternity papers at the hospital.  Otherwise, if you want child support, the state will require him to do the DNA test.  I am not sure if they amend the birth certificate after that, but I'd sure as hell make him jump through the hoops that the state requires.  You play, you pay, and your child deserves whatever financial support the state can squeeze out of him, no matter what your feelings for him are.   
  • Options

Thanks friends. This post was sparked after a conversation with my mother saying "nope, you just tell them and they write is down at the hospital". My mom had said it would be better for the child support situation, but I was doubtful b/c it seems like if that was the case I could write anything down. 

The baby will definitely have my last name, but I am putting it on the birth certificate because he is in fact the father and that is a legal document that the baby will have forever. I think it would be awful to have the line empty on my own and I also had a dead-beat dad. I think putting his name on there is part of the history of my child. I am trying very hard to not make any potentially regrettable decisions regarding BD. For example, I'm not going to say "never" or "I won't ever". Yes he is sleazy but I cannot predict what the future holds and I prefer not to burn any bridges. 

So thanks for the advice and I did look into it online. In Illinois both parents need to sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity for in order to add the father's name to the birth cert. guess we'll wait for the paternity test.  

• Options
    imagemel1987:
    Im not going to put BD on the BC. I will not be going after him for child support. I don't want my child to have anything to do witb him. He left the state after I told him I was expecting.

This.
  • Options
    I'd make sure you really want him around the baby... Once you put him in the bc it gives him rights to see the baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"