Multiples

19 weeks and feeling breathless and panicky

Just this last week I have had spells of feeling breathless even when laying down. I have never felt the kind of panic that I feel when it happens. I have been to the Dr. And the ER. After a pulse oxygen test and EKG they say I am fine. They think its just that I am short 5'1 and carrying twins. Any suggestions to ease my anxiety? I am loosing sleep some nights.

Re: 19 weeks and feeling breathless and panicky

• Just relax, watch movies, get off your feet.
  • mirnbmirnb member
    The breathlessness is normal as your babies grow bigger and move upwards. Unfortunately for some people it can cause panic if they have never felt this feeling before. Growing up with asthma I was well used to feelings of breathlessness so I think that made it easier to handle. The best thing to do is remain calm, try not to focus on the feeling and take deep breaths in and out slowly. Laying down and stretching your arms high over your head can help make it easier to take a deep breath! Just remember that because you are feeling out of breath does not mean you are going to stop breathing! It can be scary but staying calm will help keep it under control!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had this and like others said, it can be a normal part of a twin pregnancy, however we determined that I was anemic and that is what was causing some of my breathless/dizzy spells in the beginning.  I started on a prescription iron supplement and that made a HUGE difference.  Toward the end I had the normal twin pregnancy breathlessness but I would ask to have your iron checked if it hasn't been checked recently.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Try lying on your side - less pressure/weight on you diaphragm and lungs.  Panicky is no fun :(
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"