Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Ok maybe some of you with older babies can help...

LO will be 9 months on Sunday.  We have been doing solids since he was about 5.5 months.  Around 7/8 months I tried the puffs/cherios/ mumm mumms.  He gags and throws up when anything chunky gets down his throat.  Even too chunky of purees he can't stand.  I talked to his pedi and she said its not an issue till after a yr...and most babies don't take that stuff till 9-12 months anyways. 

so any other moms have the same issue but then just one day their baby just got it? I stopped trying a few weeks ago, but thinking of trying again this weekend since he will be 9 months.  I am feeling hopeless like he will be eating purees at his high school graduation! 

THanks in advance! 

Re: Ok maybe some of you with older babies can help...

• Options

Try taking a sweetpotato, cutting it into french fry shape, tossing it with a little bit of olive oil and baking until soft.  Let them cool and put them on the tray for LO to pick up themselves.  Let them have control over when/how it goes in their mouth so that they can spit it out if it is too much for them.

He will not be eating purees until graduation, but it might take a little time for him to adjust :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i second trying foods that are large enough for LO to grasp, like sweet potato.  DD's first solid food was butternut squash and then sweet potato, cut into pieces so she could feed herself.  She also really liked crackers, like a graham cracker, or buttery round one.  gagging is normal as they figure out how much to chew their food before they can swallow it.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We do mostly baby lead weaning so choking hasn't really been an issue unless my daughter shovels too much in her mouth. I would try feeding some super soft veggies to your LO like carrots, lumpy mashed sweet potatoes, acorn squash, etc. Also, maybe try some cooked apples, fresh peaches, or watermelon. Those are all really soft and easy to gum. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are trying to get over this hump right now, too.  I have found that when she self-feeds she does so much better.  I give her chunks of bananas, steamed pears, puffs.  And really, the bigger the chunks the better.  When they are too small she chokes, when they are bigger she can control the size.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"