Maine Babies
Options

Anyone's baby a little behind?

Kate is a very busy baby and is always moving when she is awake, but is a little behind on head control and doesn't push up like she should during tummy time. 

She's getting frustrated because she wants to be able to do things but at the same time doesn't want to make the effort if it's hard.  I give her tummy time 4-5 times a day, engage her in activities, and encourage her while we play...I think she is more stubborn than anything.     

I'm not worried that there is something wrong with her per se (though the Torticollis could have something to do with this), but I am worried that the pediatrician will think I leave her in the swing all day or something.  At her 2 month appointment the pediatrician mentioned that she was behind with head control and had us increase the tummy time.  The occupational therapist also noted this in her report.  We have appointments coming up with both of them and I'm afraid they'll think I'm not doing what I'm supposed to.

[As a side note, the baby has a habit of throwing me under the bus at the pediatrician's.  She wanted to see us BF which resulted in Kate screaming, refusing to participate, and becoming inconsolable.  At another appointment, she wanted to see Kate lift her head while on her tummy--Kate buried her face in the paper and laid there crying and limp as if she'd never done that before.]     

Anyone else have a baby that is a little behind?  Or just stubborn?   

Re: Anyone's baby a little behind?

• Options

DD refused to sit till after she crawled... man was that irritating at the pedi office... 8 month old who refused to sit... she would push down to lay and roll everywhere by refused to sit no matter what (unless in her car seat, bumbo or high chair).

have you tried carring her around w/o supporting her head a bit? that helped so much with DD when we were working on head control. Instead of cradling her i would make her sit on my hip like a big girl and she could lay her head on my chest or arm, but she had to hold her head up quite a bit. 

we also started doing baby sit-ups. with her laying on her back, i hold her hands (her hands around my thumb and then i wrap the rest of my fingers around her wrists and hands) then i tell her we're going to sit up, and pull gently up till she's at a sit. This makes her use her neck muscles to control her head on the way up and down... i'm sure you've got a lot of things that your PT has given you to help... but that's what worked for us! 

GL 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks Melsie!  She does like sitting upright and holding her head up when we carry her around.  We do the baby sit-ups sometimes too...she always looks at me like I'm crazy when we do it : )

Where does the time go?  I can't believe Kaylee is already 10 months old!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

its sad how fast time goes by.. i just ordered her first birthday invitations last week *sniff*sniff*

i can't believe your LO is here! talk about Kaylee being 10 months, i remember you still being pregnant! 

DD always loved playing situp... we give kisses and tickles on the up side :) when she gets cranky we still play it some times lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Could you maybe keep a log of when you do these activities with her & maybe record it so they could see what happens during your tummy time sessions??

DD laid on the table screaming too the last time we went to the pedi. I think it was because she was naked & cold. He wanted to see her head control.?

Maybe try putting her blanket on the table next time you put her on her belly for the pedi. And try nursing before the exam. That way she's not already in a cranky mood from being poked & prodded. You know? ?

• Options

DD seems similar.  She has always slept on her back which I know causes them to be slower in developing skills that take tummy time.  We do tummy time a lot but she hates it - after about 30 seconds she screams so its loud tummy time in our house :)

She holds her head up great when we carry her around but so often on her tummy she will just find her fist and eat it or eat the blanket she is on, even with the one that has the support for her to be more upright.  Just last week she started lifting her chest so hopefully she is just a little slower with that.  She is great at sitting and standing for her age so I just think she is doing some things better and some things worse.  She rolls every once in a while but nothing consistent.

The dr didn't say anything at her 2 month but I wonder if he will at her 4 month although we still have 2 weeks and she has improved a lot in the last week so maybe she will surprise us. I have been saying to mh that she will probably just lay there at the drs visit - we shall see

Janine image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"