Health & Exercise

Best way to get workouts in with kids?

I feel like I'm having zero success getting on a workout routine now that we have two kids and I am working fulltime.  Heading to the gym is usually a bust because we have so much going on after I get home, and if I went before the kids got up I'd be leaving at 4AM (and I'm just too tired for that).  I could use our work gym during lunch, but time is pretty tight there.  I am considering getting a running stroller so I can jog with my toddler and let my older kiddo ride his bike with us (which he adores and can do forever).  Am I fooling myself into thinking I can get good workouts in this way?  I really am at a loss.  I could do a workout DVD maybe after the kids are in bed, but after 7:30-8 is the only time I have to relax, fold laundry, clean up, blah, blah.....Help!

Re: Best way to get workouts in with kids?

• You can definitely get a good workout in using a jogging stroller!

We just joined a gym that has daycare and that's what I do when DH is at work (I SAH full time). I take advantage of the time when DH is home to watch him and get an extra long workout on those days. I don't blame you for not wanting to get up at 4am, but you could go for a walk during your lunch at work to at least get a little exercise in there.

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • For me, my 7 yo can only ride her bike about 3 miles, so it is frustrating to run with her riding her bike.

I would opt for work gym or after kids go to bed.

• Loading the player...
  • I schedule my workouts. I plan which nights I will work out and what I will do. Some nights, I jog on our treadmill. If dh is home, he will watch DS upstairs. If DS is with me, I put on a DVD and e watches and plays with toys. I do videos a few nights. DS actually tries to do them with me. Once the routine is established, it gets easier. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you want to do it, you make it work.

I go running after dinner while DH plays with our son and gives him a bath, and gets him ready for bed.  I don't love running after dinner.  My stomach is full, and I'm usually racing the sunset so I'm not on an unlit trail after dark.  It also means I give up any time to relax, since I as soon as I get home I'm packing lunches, prepping dinner for the next night, and then going to bed.  BUT it's the only time I have to do it.   We fold laundry on the weekends, unless DH thinks to do it on his own during the week - which is hit or miss. 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I either run early before everyone is up or go to the gym for a 7:30pm class and DH does bed time (generally do this twice a week).

I've run with DD (6.5) on a bike once and it didn't go well. She rode just over 4 miles but it was at a MUCH slower pace than I like and I wouldn't want to do it as my regular workout.

• Forgot to add that I also sometimes run from work instead of taking a lunch.
  • imageArnegard:
    For me, my 7 yo can only ride her bike about 3 miles, so it is frustrating to run with her riding her bike.I would opt for work gym or after kids go to bed.

I agree!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I've been pondering something similar lately. We both work fulltime, our girls are 1 and 3,DH is doing his masters, MIL is sick, and we have a rental property that we manage ourselves. There is a lot going on, and by the time the girls are in bed, the laundry and dishes are done then all I want to do is collapse.

However, I'm feeling awful without regular activity.

I've decided that I need to start building the habit of every day activity, even if it's just doing some stomach crunches, push-ups and running on the spot for 10minutes. I figure that once I start making time for activity then it will get easier and easier as my energy levels build, and it becomes a habit.

For some people it's easier to aim for set days of the week.

Also consider what activities you really enjoy. I love dancing and so have started going back to a dance class once a week.

I don't know what fitness level you were at, and what you are aiming for, but I think it's important to view any amount of activity as worthwhile. I also think breaking whatever habit you are in and building a new one is an important part of the equation.

Consider all the other things that you get done in a day because you have to like cooking meals, your job, bathing kids etc, and consider how much physical activity you can do in 15 or 30minute if you treat it as somehting else that has to be done.

I've also realised that I need to cut back on TV and internet...because they are sucking my life away and I don't feel good about things after I've wasted an hour in front of them.

Good luck with your goals!! 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Is lunch break an option? I work full time but several days a week I pack my lunch to eat at my desk and then work out for an hour on my break.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Quit making excuses and workout.  It's hard with kids, but if you try, you can find time.  Use the gym at work, even if you can only get in there for 20 minutes.  Can you work out at your work gym at the end of the day, before you pick your kids up? 

I go to a gym where there is childcare, so I have no excuse not to go and get my swimming and weights done.  We also have an extensive bike trail system that runs right next to my gym, so I can drop DS off at the gym and go outside for a nice run.  I also have a BOB jogging stroller.  I've trained for marathons pushing that thing.

In the winter, I will ride the trainer (you put your bike on it) after DS goes to bed. 

At the end of the day, if you make and effort, you will find that there is a lot of time to work out.  Sometimes you have to get creative.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think that a jogging stroller is a good idea.

I only have one kid, so it's a lot easier - but I do short workout videos while she plays on the floor or in her play-pen. You could also do work out videos when they are sleeping...just pick work out videos that are short so they are easy to squeeze in.  ie. the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels is a popular short work out. I also walk with her, have a jogging stroller (just starting to do the jogging thing), and I do a baby and me fitness class with her once a week.

-Go to the park with the kids and chase them around.

-Join a gym that has a pool.  You and your husband could take turns ...one of you swims with the kids while the other has a work out.  The pool itself is a light work out too.

-Have one day a week that is your night off and go to a work out class (yoga, step, zumba..whatever you like) and leave the kids with your husband or a family member that likes babysitting them. 

- Go for walks on your lunch break.  It will take less time then going to the gym at lunch and you won't need the shower after but it will still give you some exercise.

-Look into family fitness class and activities in your community.  There might be mommy and me dance, swim, yoga etc.  That way you can get some exercise and have fun with the kids.

• imageblu-eyedwife:

If you want to do it, you make it work.

I agree w/this.  I have gone through phases where I feel the same way as you, and get out of the habit of exercising.  Then I feel like cr@p, so I make sure to get it into my schedule however I can.  Given your scenario, I would mix things up during the week.  So if lunch is tight then maybe only work out at lunch 2 days/week.  If you have an onsite gym there is no reason not to take advantage of it.  Then 2 nights/week you can work out in the evening while DH gets the kids ready for bed.  That leaves maybe one evening run with the jogging stroller and once on the weekend.  And yes you can get good exercise that way!

That way you won't always feel like you are missing your evening time, or spending too much time in the gym at lunch, or whatever. 

• I am 29 weeks pregnant and workout from home with my Beachbody programs. The Challenge groups I'm in help me out a lot to stay accountable or else I would slack off! I know once the baby comes my schedule will have to change but you just have to adjust to the changes and MAKE time! If you don't make time for yourself, it will never happen. FIND the time somewhere. It might take you a while to find it, but you will if you add it into your schedule like it's your job! You could even do something that's quick like Tony Horton's 10-min Trainer so you can get something in before your day starts or wherever you can fit it in for 10 minutes. The running stroller would be good too! I want to get one! =)
  • Take them to the playground and while you are watching them do some squats, pull ups or just chase them around. During the day I chose 1 exercise like squats or jumping jacks and do 10 reps per hour. By the end of the day I do about 100 reps over the course of 10 hrs.
  • imageblushingbride_08:
    Take them to the playground and while you are watching them do some squats, pull ups or just chase them around. During the day I chose 1 exercise like squats or jumping jacks and do 10 reps per hour. By the end of the day I do about 100 reps over the course of 10 hrs.

i also have 20 min workout I do while LO is napping. I do this about 3x per week. You can also just turn on some music and just dance for a few mins per day with or without the kids. No excuses for not getting in a workout. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"