Minnesota Babies
Options

OBGYN that will be the one delivering?

I've been going to Oakdale OBGYN and seeing Dr Shakerin - who I really enjoy. Now that I'm pregnant, I realize that they don't guarantee one doc or the other will actually be the one with you when you deliver. This is a bit disheartening to me since I would like to have a doctor who knows my story, pregnancy and I'm comfortable with when I am in labor/delivery. I've started Google-ing around a bit more and am having a hard time figuring out if such a doctor exists in the metro. I'm in Maple Grove and will want to deliver at the MG hospital - any suggestions for a doctor who I can see all the way through like that? Maybe a doctor through the MG hospital? Or is this a crazy request?
BabyFruit Ticker
DD placed in open adoption 2/2007
Married in 5/2010
DD 5/2015
DS 3/2016
EDD 4/29/19

Re: OBGYN that will be the one delivering?

• Options
    imagesoftskate31:

Most doctors can't guarantee that they will be there for your delivery...that would mean they were on call 24/7/365 to cover all their patient's needs.

My OB was there for both my deliveries but that is b/c they were scheduled inductions and we picked days she was in-hospital or in-clinic next door.  if it is a weekend or evening, you get the on-call doctor or whoever is in the hospital that day if you progress faster than you doc can drive.

It certainly makes sense - I guess I was just spoiled with my small-town Iowa hospital/doctor during my first pregnancy. :)  

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married in 5/2010
    DD 5/2015
    DS 3/2016
    EDD 4/29/19
  • Options
    That's why I left my OB with this kiddo.  I was fine with my particular OB delivering my baby, but I knew another OB wouldn't necessarily understand my story and the kind of birth I want.  We ended up going with a midwife through Healtheast clinics and while we aren't guaranteed to get one of the two midwifes that we've been seeing, we are guaranteed to get a midwife.  I feel like a midwife will better understand my birthing/labor desires and not pressure me to do another option the way an OB that doesn't know me might...  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageNatesCupcake47:
    That's why I left my OB with this kiddo.  I was fine with my particular OB delivering my baby, but I knew another OB wouldn't necessarily understand my story and the kind of birth I want.  We ended up going with a midwife through Healtheast clinics and while we aren't guaranteed to get one of the two midwifes that we've been seeing, we are guaranteed to get a midwife.  I feel like a midwife will better understand my birthing/labor desires and not pressure me to do another option the way an OB that doesn't know me might...  

I agree - a midwife may be more up my alley anyway. And you're right - even if I'm not guaranteed a specific one - at least it's a midwife who may still be on the same page as me. More research to be done... :)

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married in 5/2010
    DD 5/2015
    DS 3/2016
    EDD 4/29/19
  • Options

imageNatesCupcake47:

I agree - a midwife may be more up my alley anyway. And you're right - even if I'm not guaranteed a specific one - at least it's a midwife who may still be on the same page as me. More research to be done... :)

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married in 5/2010
    DD 5/2015
    DS 3/2016
    EDD 4/29/19
  • Options
    imagemnmello:

imageNatesCupcake47:

North Metro Midwives deliver at Maple Grove and I loved using them with my DS.

image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• Options
    With my first pregnancy I saw Dr. Lockhart at Allina Clinic in Woodbury until I was 28w.  She is a Family Practitioner that would have been my doc to deliver me had I stayed with her.  However I didn't care who delivered me, but moreso the hospital I was to deliver at, which I switched to an OB that delivered at Woodwinds.  Try a Family Practitioner....
    IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've found that most OBs just show up to catch the baby and you spend most of your time with the L&D nurses.  My OB was the doctor on call and I think she came into the room 20 minutes before I gave birth. The nurses were in and out of my room all the time, though.
    I see a family practice and my primary doctor takes all his own deliveries. Even when he was on vacation towards the end of my first pregnancy, he told me that he was staying in town and would be there if I went into labor. It might be something to look into since most OB groups seem to just have one doc on call.
    imageimage
  • Options
    kmplskmpls member

Obgyn West docs usually deliver all their patients but they are not in Maple Grove. They do have an office in Minnetonka right off 394.

They deliver at Fairview Southdale.

I love love love that group! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am going through North Metro Midwives (like some of the other gals on the board) and one of the things I like knowing is that I know all of the midwives there so I'm comfortable with any of them come delivery day. They always try and schedule you so you see all of the midwives equally, so I also recommend them if you want to try and go that route, however, they don't deliver at Maple Grove anymore, but the new birthing center at Abbott looks very nice!
  • Options

imagezephyr_marie:
    I am going through North Metro Midwives (like some of the other gals on the board) and one of the things I like knowing is that I know all of the midwives there so I'm comfortable with any of them come delivery day. They always try and schedule you so you see all of the midwives equally, so I also recommend them if you want to try and go that route, however, they don't deliver at Maple Grove anymore, but the new birthing center at Abbott looks very nice!

Oh I didn't know they aren't at MG anymore! I was super sad I couldn't use them this time around.

image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• Options
    mnmellomnmello member
    Thanks, everyone!

North Metro Midwives looks like a great group - wish they were still at MG. I've got an appointment with Oakdale OBGYN this Friday - so I figure I'll ride that out until I decide otherwise. OGI looks like another nice option in MG as a fall back. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married in 5/2010
    DD 5/2015
    DS 3/2016
    EDD 4/29/19
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"