February 2012 Moms
Options

Appointments Update

I hope you all don't mind, but I copied this from my blog. 

This week has been busy with appointments.  We were down at Riley's Children Hospital two times this week.  We met with Sara Parker (SPL) on Tuesday to work on Grant's feeding issues.  She wanted us to stop offering Grant water at meal times and instead offer the water between meals.  Other suggestions included going back to his smoothie drink (4oz of stage two baby food or baby yogurt mixed with 2oz of formula) during meal times and offer him crunchy things like puffed cheetos or toddler veggie sticks.  Feeding is still a struggle, but he does usually take a little bit at each meal.  He is taking around 3 feedings to finish a 4oz jar of baby food.  I have also been trying new foods, but nothing has been the magic ticket.  I have also found out that he is not interested in grape juice.  I plan on trying some apple juice next.

Then today (Thursday) we were back down to Riley to meet with the neurologist and the pediatric surgeon who did Grant's G-tube.  The neurologist, Dr. Mandy Harris, told us the results of Grant's spinal tap.  He had quite of few of his amino acids high, the most significant being his alanine.  It was explained to me that alanine measures stress in the brain and can indicate a possible mitochondrial or metabolism disorder/disease.  Unfortunately, those conditions cannot be cured, but could possibly be helped with medication.  We also found out his MTHF or 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate was low.  He was at a 42 (I'm not sure of the units) and I was told 40-60 is low, while 60+ is acceptable.  In the last 5 years there has been new research that has shown that patients with similar values as Grant have had their neurological symptoms improve following folinic acid therapy.  We were told that there are no harmful side effects to treat him, so we are going to go ahead and do that.  She prescribed 4 different vitamins: Leucororin (folinic acid) 3x a day, Carnitine 3x a day, Riboflavin once a day, and CoQ10 2x a day.  It was nice to have a glimmer of hope that he could make some improvements.  I'm trying to not get my hopes up, but I am glad to have something new to try.  She said that if he improves that it would be in a few weeks.  If he does improve, Grant will be apart of the very small group that is able to find some sort of diagnosis through a spinal tap.  There are only 4 people that she is currently treating for a folinic deficiency (all of which showed an improvement folinic acid therapy).

The last appointment wasn't very eventful.  The pediatric surgeon said that his g-tube looked great and he could take baths, go swimming, or do whatever he wanted.  We only need to go back to see him as needed.  Yay!  Next time we go back to Riley is May 17th.  I will be happy to stay in town for a while!

Now hopefully all these new medications will be covered or are inexpensive because I haven't tried to pick them up from Walgreen's yet...

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Appointments Update

• Options

imageRNmama12:
    It's great to hear an update on Grant, and it sounds like a positive one! I hope the supplements work for him. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Love hearing the updates on Grant! You guys have been through so much and I'm glad you guys got some answers this time around! I hope you are doing well! How's Grant doing with moving around? Your family is always in our TPs
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageALane1128:
    Love hearing the updates on Grant! You guys have been through so much and I'm glad you guys got some answers this t

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations on getting some answers and some insight on what is going on with your awesome little man!  I think of you guys often and wish you the best of luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for the update.  I'm glad you've gotten some answers that seem to be "doable".  I bet once you get him going on this new regimen, and his levels are where they need to be, I bet you'll see a big difference in him and he takes off!

• Options

Glad for the update, and hopeful for the supplements.

I have no idea if this would be counter to recommendations, but when DS was refusing to eat but would take meds, I tried giving him squash puree (because it was so smooth) with a medici

• Options
    I'm glad everything's going well with the G tube! Hopefully he starts eating soon with the SLP!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"