One & Done: Only child
Options

Have you ever taken a cruise with a toddler?

DH's family has proposed taking a cruise together.  I think this sounds like fun, but DH thinks that taking DS on a cruise (around age 2) would be a nightmare. 

I figure we'd have extra hands to help out with DS and give us a break when we need it. 

Am I crazy, or is DH being too pessimistic?  I told him that one of the benefits of being 1&D is to do stuff like this!!!

DS 11.24.11
MMC 3.30.16

Re: Have you ever taken a cruise with a toddler?

• Options

*lurker butting in... Smile*

I have a child that gets motion sickness, just like I do. I'd be worried that at this age (or even at two), they might be sick but wouldn't be able to tell us what's wrong. (queasy but not throwing up, headache, etc.)

If you know your child doesn't have this issue, I think it'd be a ton of fun. Just pick a family-centered cruise line (my personal favorite is Royal Caribbean, but I bet a Disney cruise would be awesome), and have fun! Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • Options

Ha.  FIL wants to take a "family trip" next year to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.  One of his ideas was a cruise.  DS will be 5 then, so different story.

But - I have my concerns.  We've done a few trips w/ DS where we've been in a hotel (vs a house or condo).  The best have been where we've had a balcony that we can hang out on after putting him to bed.  The worst trips have been the ones where we've had to sit in the hallway.

THAT is my biggest issue and I told DH that if we go, I want a room w/ a balcony.  But as FIL is paying... is that in his budget?  

The rest of it - eh, I'm not too concerned overall.  We've traveled a lot w/ DS and I don't know that I see being on a cruise really all that different as any other kind of vacation we've taken.  There will be lots of things to do, we'll be stopping at various ports, etc.  

You know your DHs family - but be careful of this expectation that you'll have lots of extra hands.  This will be THEIR vacation too- they may not want to be "hands" for you when you want a break... KWIM?  I know w/o question that the ILs will be of no help to us at all.  But at least DS will be old enough to go to the kids club occasionally - when DH and I want a little time to ourselves! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

Ha.  FIL wants to take a "family trip" next year to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.  One of his ideas was a cruise.  DS will be 5 then, so different story.

But - I have my concerns.  We've done a few trips w/ DS where we've been in a hotel (vs a house or condo).  The best have been where we've had a balcony that we can hang out on after putting him to bed.  The worst trips have been the ones where we've had to sit in the hallway.

THAT is my biggest issue and I told DH that if we go, I want a room w/ a balcony.  But as FIL is paying... is that in his budget?  

The rest of it - eh, I'm not too concerned overall.  We've traveled a lot w/ DS and I don't know that I see being on a cruise really all that different as any other kind of vacation we've taken.  There will be lots of things to do, we'll be stopping at various ports, etc.  

You know your DHs family - but be careful of this expectation that you'll have lots of extra hands.  This will be THEIR vacation too- they may not want to be "hands" for you when you want a break... KWIM?  I know w/o question that the ILs will be of no help to us at all.  But at least DS will be old enough to go to the kids club occasionally - when DH and I want a little time to ourselves! 

These are all excellent points. DH and I agreed that if we went, we would pay the upcharge ourselves to get a balcony room.

DS is the only grandchild, so I'm pretty confident that the grandparents would be very hands-on with him.  Its a good idea to have those conversations up front though, and ask if they'd be willing to take a few hours with him here and there.

Thanks for the advice!

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    imageTink112011:

DS is the only grandchild, so I'm pretty confident that the grandparents would be very hands-on with him.  Its a good idea to have those conversations up front though, and ask if they'd be willing to take a few hours with him here and there.

Again, you know your ILs, I don't.  DS is also the only grandchild.  ILs talk the talk of wanting to be involved, FIL specifically is jealous of the relationship my parents have w/ DS.  But - when they are around him, they are SOOOOO uninvolved.  They just don't "get" what being around a child involves.  FIL thinks getting a hug from DS is bonding w/ him and eating a meal is "quality time", where as for DS - getting down on his level and just playing w/ him, engaging in HIS imaginative stories, etc, is what will create bonds. 

For the fact that you say you'll talk to them ahead of time reads to me like they aren't actively involved in DSs life.  If they aren't around him on a regular basis - you just need to be careful of your expectations of them being the "doting" grandparents who would "of course" want to spend lots of one on one time w/ him.  

I know my  parents would absolutely be playing w/ and taking DS for periods of time.  No question about that - because they do that NOW!   And I know that my ILs won't be any help because that's what they do NOW.

So even if you talk to them, the reality in the  moment may be very different! 

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:
    imageTink112011:

Again, you know your ILs, I don't.  DS is also the only grandchild.  ILs talk the talk of wanting to be involved, FIL specifically is jealous of the relationship my parents have w/ DS.  But - when they are around him, they are SOOOOO uninvolved.  They just don't "get" what being around a child involves.  FIL thinks getting a hug from DS is bonding w/ him and eating a meal is "quality time", where as for DS - getting down on his level and just playing w/ him, engaging in HIS imaginative stories, etc, is what will create bonds. 

For the fact that you say you'll talk to them ahead of time reads to me like they aren't actively involved in DSs life.  If they aren't around him on a regular basis - you just need to be careful of your expectations of them being the "doting" grandparents who would "of course" want to spend lots of one on one time w/ him.  

I know my  parents would absolutely be playing w/ and taking DS for periods of time.  No question about that - because they do that NOW!   And I know that my ILs won't be any help because that's what they do NOW.

So even if you talk to them, the reality in the  moment may be very different! 

I understand where you're coming from.  My ILs are pretty involved and jump at the chance to babysit DS.  They'll make the hour drive to spend an hour with him on weeknights and put him to bed.  They often urge us to have date night and they'll watch DS.  So I'm not concerned about them being completely uninvolved, but you're absolutely right - its their vacation too! They might have different feelings about spending their vacation as babysitters.

We have a good relationship with them, so we wouldn't hesitate at all to ask and make those agreements.  I know my DH would feel much better going into it knowing exactly what their comfort level is.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    imageTink112011:
    My ILs are pretty involved and jump at the chance to babysit DS.  They'll make the hour drive to spend an hour with him on weeknights and put him to bed.  They often urge us to have date night and they'll watch DS.
    Yes
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• Options

We sailed on Norwegian with my 3-year-old in February, and we had a great time.  DD loved the pools, including the splash pool, and the buffet was a hit.  We tried dropping off DD at the kids' club, but she was unhappy because the jungle gym she wanted to play on was in the 6-8 year old kids area, not the toddler area.  DD has been asking when we are going on our next cruise.

We were on the Epic, which is a huge ship, and most of the time we did not feel the ship moving at all.  No one was sick.  We had a balcony and loved being able to see the Caribbean from our room.  We will probably take a Disney cruise in 2014.

• Options
    I won't travel with my ILs because they fight when they travel... But I would totally take my 2 year old on a cruise.
  • Options

My in-laws have become cruise addicts and want to take us on one, their treat.

I've been stalling at least until LO is out of diapers because that will expand a lot of our on-board choices. They don't allow swim diapers in the pools, for example. And some activities are 3 and up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used to think a cruise would be a great vacation with a toddler. A friend of mine took her 18mo to Mexico about a year ago and loved it. But with the recent horror stories about being stranded at sea with toilets overflowing makes me afraid to set foot on a cruise ship again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Considering a Disney Cruise for our family. I guess for kids under 3you pay $6 an hour for "child care" or play activities for that age. older kids activities are included. 
    imageimageimage
    weddingcountdown.com Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"