Preemies
Options

BFing question

Hello and happy Wednesday. I have a question for you ladies who BFed your preemies/micropreemies. I have been pumping every three hours. I originally got some very wrong information from my lactation consultant that has now been corrected. But I still am barely getting an ounce with each pumping in the first half of the day, and the second half of the day is even less. I'm drinking a lot of water, eating, trying to relax, stick to the schedule, etc etc. I'm wondering if it's just harder because I don't have my baby with me/near me while I pump. So my questions are...

1. Did you have any issues like this? Did you find a way to help solve them?

2. Did you find that when you actually started breastfeeding, you were able to get more?

Thank you in advance for any insight! May a shiny unicorn cross your path today.  

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

Re: BFing question

• Options

Are you using the right size flanges on the pump and are the little membranes intact as well (the little yellow things). 

Make sure you are drinking and eating enough and I've heard pumping with a photo of your little one nearby can help, not sure if it really helped me or not.

You can try cluster pumping sessions where you are pumping on and off more frequently as well.  This mimics the cluster feeding that infants do.  Check out this link before for other tips.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/pumping_decrease/

Since you had bad information up front it may take a bit of time to re-establish your supply.  Keep it up and make sure you are getting up to pump during the night.  I know it sucks but it is so important in establishing and maintaining your supply.

Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips and info!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageTriciaandSean:
    Are you using the right size flanges on the pump and are the little membranes intact as well the little yellow things.nbsp; Make sure you are drinking and eating enough and I've heard pumping with a photo of your little one nearby can help, not sure if it really helped me or not.You can try cluster pumping sessions where you are pumping on and off more frequently as well.nbsp; This mimics the cluster feeding that infants do.nbsp; Check out this link before for other tips.https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/pumping_decrease/Since you had bad information up front it may take a bit of time to reestablish your supply.nbsp; Keep it up and make sure you are getting up to pump during the night.nbsp; I know it sucks but it is so important in establishing and maintaining your supply.Good luck!

Everything is intact but I know there's at least one size up of the phalanges I could try. I'll look into that. I get up at 1, 4, and 7 to pump. At 1 and 7 I get something but at 4 I get nada. Hopefully that will change with time.

• Options
    I had lots of issues with my supply. I diligently pumped while DS was in the NICU, but I never got more than 1.5 oz. every 3 hours. I tried everything. On a positive note, DS was able to BF with a nipple shield around 6 weeks old. Eventually we weaned off the shield, too. My supply didn't improve, so I stopped BFing/pumping at around 4 months. I did the best I could. I hope your supply increases and that eventually, you'll be able to nurse!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageSahara78:

I know that my membranes have looked good at times, but my pump has performed better once I replaced them. I would try that if you haven't replaced them lately. 

Are you using a hospital grade pump? I get less with my PISA than I did with the hospital pump. My LC also recommended pumping while looking at a picture or video of DD. Assuming your NICU could accommodate, you could also try pumping at your LO's bedside.

Good luck! It is so hard.

I have a Medela PISA, which is what they recommended but I don't know if it's hospital grade. I'll find out. I do look at a pictures of LO. I used to pump at his bedside but lately he's been having lots of As and Bs so I don't want to be in the way if his hr drops, especially because a lot of times I'm the first one at his bed. BUT he should stop doing those pretty soon so maybe I can start again. Thanks!

• Options
    Other than the other helpful tips you have received, I would recommend pumping until your milk very nearly or even better, completely stops flowing, then pump 5 minutes more. I did this every time. Sometimes the pumping sessions were 15 minutes (evenings, when my supply was lower), sometimes up to 45 minutes. I had my DD to care for as well ... It was so incredibly difficult BUT as a result, I ended up with a stellar supply, an oversupply actually. I donated 35 litres, yes litres to the milk bank. We are still EBF. Keep going with breast massage & compression. Read Dr Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding if you can get your hands on a copy. The "breast compression" section is detailed and comprehensive and will hopefully help your milk production. Incorporating breast compression as described in the book absolutely assisted me in expressing more with each pumping. You are doing a great job Mama! Keep at it!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD  is 4 months and I still exclusively pump. I actually have more milk than she can consume so once she was able to latch, I still couldn't BF because I was getting clogged ducts and mastitis 3 times. I pump for 20 minutes every 3 hours. Just keep it up! You are a great mom!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSahara78:
    I don't believe that any PISAs are hospital grade. I rented the Medela Symphony through my hospital. It was 65/mo, but my insurance paid for it. I was sad when I went back to work and had to turn it in for a more portable PISA! Sorry about the As and Bs. Hopefully he will stop having them soon!

I am able to use the hospital pumps while I'm there now! We had parts for that one but when we moved we lost them. DH just found them for me last night. Woohoo!

• Options

imageflerlgirl:
    imageSahara78:
    I don't believe that any PISAs are hospital grade. I rented the Medela Symphony through my hospital. It was 65/mo, but my insurance paid for it. I was sad when I went back to work and had to turn it in for a more portable PISA! Sorry about the As and Bs. Hopefully he will stop having them soon!
    I am able to use the hospital pumps while I'm there now! We had parts for that one but when we moved we lost them. DH just found them for me last night. Woohoo!

Yes definitely use the symphony while at the hospital!  It's a way better pump.  I rented a symphony to use at home too for the month my son was in the NICU and then bought a Pump in Style once my son was home from the NICU. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageTriciaandSean:

imageflerlgirl:
    imageSahara78:

Yes definitely use the symphony while at the hospital!  It's a way better pump.  I rented a symphony to use at home too for the month my son was in the NICU and then bought a Pump in Style once my son was home from the NICU. 

The difference the hospital pump makes is incredible! I'm so glad DH found the parts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"