Nurseries and Baby Gear

FT Short Mama!

Hi all, this is my first time perusing on this board, but this seems like a place of a lot of knowledge! I am a FTM, due October 16, and I've been looking at all kinds of cribs and bed situations (play yards, bassinets, cosleepers, etc). I really don't have a lot of space, and my LO will be in our bedroom from day 1 until an undetermined amount of time when we move somewhere they'll have their own space, so I would like to go straight to a crib. The catch is, I'm not very tall, 5'0 on a good day, and my arms are freakishly short (think the T-Rex from Meet the Robinsons lol!). I have been looking for a crib that either has a nice dip in front, or possibly at the safety gate cribs, as drop side cribs are, as we all know, banned forever =(  I also do not like the idea of a step stool, I don't trust myself to be coherent enough at 3am feedings to stand on it and get the baby out without accident.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good crib for shorties? My parents are buying the crib for us, and my Dad hates the idea of an Ikea crib, even though those are perfect height wise for me, so I'm trying to look for something everyone can be happy with, for now. If it gets to be a huge hassle I'm just going to buy the Ikea crib and call it a day, but I'm trying to avoid that drama! 

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input! 

Re: FT Short Mama!

• Am short myself and had the same concern. Ended up going to Buy Buy Baby and did the reach test. Found 3 options, two of which were under 300. The Child Craft London Eutostyle crib seemed like it'd be super easy but they didn't have an unopened package and we bought it the weekend before I was due. Cannot recall what we went with though; think it was a Delta...

More recently we got a Rock n Play, and a mini cosleeper by Arms Reach ... there is also a mini bassinet cosleeper which I would strongly consider. Wal-Mart and Amazon were the only ones who carried that so couldnt test out.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm 5'0" on a good day as well and we ended up getting Graco Sarah cribs.  I only really had an issue getting the kids out of the crib when we the mattress was on the lowest setting and they were tucked in the farthest corner away from the edge.  The crib was set up in the corner of the room so it was hard to reach them back there.  Otherwise, like PP said, by the time the mattress is at the lowest setting they are sitting up or standing for you to get them out and we put them in while they're still awake.

• Loading the player...
  • Baby's dream makes cribs with a safety gate that folds down.

Ikea cribs are nice and low and have a small footprint.
  • imageorangecurls:
    Baby's dream makes cribs with a safety gate that folds down. Ikea cribs are nice and low and have a small footprint.

I have two cribs.  When pg with DS1, we bought a DaVinci Emily.  It worked fine, but it was a little hard to reach in to lay him down when he got bigger and the mattress was all the way down.

DS1 was still using his crib when DS2 came.  We got a hand-me-down Baby's Dream (Generation Next I think) crib with the drop gate.  I love this crib.  The quality is much better than the DaVinci and it's easier to reach in with the drop gate. 

Needless to say, I could choose to use either crib for DS3 and I will be using the Baby's Dream for sure.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm 5'0 too and I got the Graco Mason (or Lauren) from Target. If you keep an eye out, they go on sale for about $120 and are usually rated pretty high in Baby Bargains. Currently DD is on the highest setting and I have no issue laying her down gently on the mattress. Even the lowest is only a few more inches so I'm not too worried. (If you call your Target, they may even have a sample set up for you to try)

Regarding starting baby in the crib from the get-go in your room... not sure how much room you have but most cribs are pretty large. The Ikea ones are little more compact, but not much of a difference (if you think about it...the mattresses are the same size). Also I know my LO would have had a fit with that much space... many babies (definitely not all though!) like to feel 'cuddled'. So if it's in the budget, I would definitely recommend a bassinet/co-sleeper/RnP for those early weeks. (plus it is easier to get baby in/out in case of a C-section)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Why is your dad against an Ikea crib?  We have the Ikea Sundvik and I like it!  I'm 5'2" and it is the perfect height for me.  Also, as others said, it has a smaller footprint than most other cribs.  We started DS in the crib in our bedroom.  Our bedroom isn't that big so the Ikea crib worked out well.  
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepb_bride:
    Why is your dad against an Ikea crib? nbsp;We have the Ikea Sundvik and I like it! nbsp;I'm 5'2" and it is the perfect height for me. nbsp;Also, as others said, it has a smaller footprint than most other cribs. nbsp;We started DS in the crib in our bedroom. nbsp;Our bedroom isn't that big so the Ikea crib worked out well. nbsp;

He just think it looks cheap and doesn't want his grandchild in it. He told me today if that's what I really want he'll buy it, but he'd rather me get something nicer. And my BMB wonders why I have such issues buying inexpensive things .
  • Thank you all! I'm going to take a look at all these cribs! :D
  • imageorangecurls:
    Baby's dream makes cribs with a safety gate that folds down.

Ikea cribs are nice and low and have a small footprint.

I'm short too and got Baby's Dream for DS. Love it. We are expecting 2 soon and she will hopefully love it too!
  • We have an Ikea Hensvik crib and I love it!  I don't think it looks cheap.  My dad bought ours too and I spent more on the mattress than I did the crib. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"