TTC after 35

Thyroid Medicine

I was looking for some input from my fellow thyroid medicine girls.  I started taking 50mc of Synthroid (I actually take the generic Levoroxyine sp?) once a day.  The first week was amazing, I was so wide awake & energetic.  Now that I am 2 1/2 mths into taking these pills - I have gained 10lbs and practically fall asleep in my car (going & coming home from work).

When I called the REs office I spoke with the nurse.  My level is now at 2.2 (I would like it to be lower, but it is better than the 6.2 it was at).  The nurse said that since I am not doing any "treatments" that the RE would keep me at this level.  I told her about the weight & lethargy and she seemed to think nothing of it.  The first thyroid test, which was right after I stopped BCP, I was only 3.6, three months later I jumped up to 6.2 - crazy huh.

Help, anyone else have this happen?  I don't want to mess with a new pill or dosage right now because I am going out of the country in a few days.  But when I come back I will want to get the Dr on the phone & not the nurse and see what he thinks.

Mind you the 10lbs are all in my belly.  If I didn't test last month I would think I was pregnant - i have that type of belly right now.  I hate that I can't fit into my slacks/jeans anymore.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thyroid Medicine

• Thyroid levels can jump around alot depending on many factors....

1. Did you have a FULL thyroid panel done.... T3/T4...thyroid antibodies etc...  your TSH is only a tiny bit of the puzzle. You may not be converting the thyroid medication properly.Or perhaps your thyroid antibodies are high and that is the culprit. You need a full panel and a sonogram of your thyroid.

2. Are you taking your meds EVERY DAY at the same time of day? Make sure you don't combine with anything other than water and don't take any other meds or vitamins within four hours of your thyroid pills. Also the generic is shown to not be as effective as actual synthroid.

3. I would suggest you see an endocronologist  ( not an RE) RE's are great but you are going to need more care to get your thyroid under control and once you are pregnant you are going to have to be monitored closely and your medication will change frequently. ( your baby will be dependent on your thyroid during your pregnancy) Also you will be taking thyroid meds most likely the rest of your life and will need a doctor who knows your history to take care of you.  Finding a good endocronologist that will work with your RE, and OBGYN can help take the frustration out of the picture and tell you what is really going on with your thyroid.

4. Get your vitamin D checked.... most hypothyroid patients have low vit D which can cause fatigue, skin issues etc... I have been also ready about the link of Vit D and infertility which is interesting. 

I am sorryyou are dealing with this... thyroid issues are frustrating.... there is no easy answer and unfortunatly there is more to it than just taking replacement hormone. Just when you think it is under control it gets all whacky!

There are a couple of good resources....

https://www.facebook.com/thyroidsexy?fref=ts

https://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa050199.htm

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• oops saw you were already on vit D supps... if your levels are still low you might trying taking in combination with magnesium for better absorption of the vit D... it might make you feel better ( ask your Dr first of course)

I have some days where I can barely make it through a work day I am so exhausted... people ( dr's and even my husband) often don't understand the lethargy and exhaustion.  It is so frustrating when people dismiss it! 

- poor responder
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • I just had my thyroid rechecked last Thursday, haven't had the results back yet....but I am guessing RE is thinking somtheing is wrong since I had it testes in Nov.

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• imageksgsmu:

Thyroid levels can jump around alot depending on many factors....

1. Did you have a FULL thyroid panel done.... T3/T4...thyroid antibodies etc...  your TSH is only a tiny bit of the puzzle. You may not be converting the thyroid medication properly.Or perhaps your thyroid antibodies are high and that is the culprit. You need a full panel and a sonogram of your thyroid.

2. Are you taking your meds EVERY DAY at the same time of day? Make sure you don't combine with anything other than water and don't take any other meds or vitamins within four hours of your thyroid pills. Also the generic is shown to not be as effective as actual synthroid.

3. I would suggest you see an endocronologist  ( not an RE) RE's are great but you are going to need more care to get your thyroid under control and once you are pregnant you are going to have to be monitored closely and your medication will change frequently. ( your baby will be dependent on your thyroid during your pregnancy) Also you will be taking thyroid meds most likely the rest of your life and will need a doctor who knows your history to take care of you.  Finding a good endocronologist that will work with your RE, and OBGYN can help take the frustration out of the picture and tell you what is really going on with your thyroid.

4. Get your vitamin D checked.... most hypothyroid patients have low vit D which can cause fatigue, skin issues etc... I have been also ready about the link of Vit D and infertility which is interesting. 

I am sorryyou are dealing with this... thyroid issues are frustrating.... there is no easy answer and unfortunatly there is more to it than just taking replacement hormone. Just when you think it is under control it gets all whacky!

There are a couple of good resources....

https://www.facebook.com/thyroidsexy?fref=ts

https://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa050199.htm

Thanks for all this information. 

Sept 2012 I had TSH (level was 3.76), T4,Free done (level was 1.1)

Jan 2013 TSH (level was 6.24) - with this set of blood tests I had all kinds of Hemoglobin tests along with RBC, Hematocrit, MCV, MCH, RDW, Vit D, Rubella & a lot of chromosone stuff.

I also had Thyroid Peroxidase AB - level was 727  (should be <35, so I am high)

along with Thyroglobulin AB - level was 104  (should be <20 - I am high here too).

April 2013 - TSH was 2.71 (I could have sworn the nurse said it was 2.2, this is still high for TTC - ugh)

I always take my medicine at the same time Mon - Sat.  The only day it may be taken about 2 hrs later is Sunday since this is the only day I don't work.

Interesting about taking the other pills at least 4 hrs later, I usually take them 1 hr later.  Today I brought my other pills (B6, Folic Acid, Mucinex & Ginesing) with me to work & will take them after the 4 hr mark.  I take my Vit D at night.  I may try weaning the other pills to the evening - we shall see.

RE said I have Hashimoto (??) Disease  - not sure what that is, but I know it has to do w/ my thyroid.

I got much farther in my drive this morning before getting tired & I was not nearly as tired.  Granted I "woke" DH up this morning since I got a +OPK LOL

Thanks for all the info.  I just hope that being super active in Italy will keep me from being sleepy.  I know it will be early mornings & a lot of walking every day - hopefully I will burn some of the 10lbs off :)

• I have Hashimoto's... It is most often hereditary from your mother's side.  ( My grandmother, mom, and aunt have it... they didn't tell me!  They didn't understand what they really had though in their defense... they just thought  "thyroid"... Hashi's is a bit more than that...

Hashi's is an auto-immune disease.  That means you have antibodies that are attacking your thyroid.  During these attacks  you can feel sick and experience all sorts of symptoms. Weight gain is a common symptom. Eventually they will kill it all together and your medicine will most likely be going up and up.   You should keep a check on your thyroid antibodies and get your thyroid sonogram atleast once a year to make sure you do not have nodules/tumors etc... They are usually benign but you need to keep tabs on it with an endo or really good primary care doctor who understands it.  Hashi's can make getting pregnant more difficult.  It will be SUPER important to continue being monitored with your thyroid as it carries a greater miscarraige risk of not being treated properly.  Hashi's is also linked to many other auto-immune issues such as celiac disease, rhematoid arthiritis, eczema, food allergies, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome just to name a few..

All that being said Hashi's is the most common form of hypo and although it can't be "cured"  you can treat the thyroid symptoms. You can have a healthy pregnancy!  Many Hashi's patients are on the gluten free bandwagon and are seeing good results with diminishing symptoms and weight loss.   I am doing a low carb/ high protein diet and the weight comes off quick ( problem is with thyroid it comes back just as QUICK!)

Good luck!  Hope this info doesn't freak you out... I have been doing a ton of research since I was diagnosed last year.  I was very symptomatic for years though!  There is ton of info out there!  Check it out and be your own advocate- you may have to push your doctor to give you the right tests  and take your symptoms seriously!

rooting for you!

- poor responder
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!

• Thanks for all the great information.  The RE just said it like it was no big deal, so I didn't worry about Hashi being an issue.  I guess he didn't want to make me too concerned.

As far as I know my mother does not have a thyroid issue at all, my father does - he is on only 25mc of Synthroid (the generic like myself).  I don't know why his dose is so low - his level was like 14, I would think he would have been higher.  He does take blood pressure meds, so maybe that is why - plus his age (now 73).  I am going to ask my mom if she ever had her thyroid checked.  She is full of energy like a 2 yr old kid.  I get tired just watching her.  Three kids later & 72 yrs old and she only has a small pot belly.

Unfortunately arthritis is rampant on both sides of my family.  My brother has Sceriatic (sp?) arthritis - which is really bad, worse than rheumatoid from what I understand.

The RE never said anything about a sono of my thyroid - hmmm.  I will ask him about it when I get back from Italy.

A few weeks ago we were being strict with our diet - very low carbs & going to the gym & I got a couple of pounds off.  Unfortunately it came right back on.  It is just odd since I am one of those that can pretty much eat anything & barely gain an ounce.  Now I take this pill & I gain weight easily - just crazy...  It makes me want to stop taking it - but I won't - not yet at least...

• QOTRQOTR member
    I can't add anything to the thyroid discussion, but I wanted to wish you safe travels and a fun time!  You'll have to give us a trip report when you return.  :)
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • I have a call into the REs office.  DH wants me off the Levothyroxine immediately - he read all the side effects & said it is not worth it.  I took it today & will take it until I get switched to something else.  I plan on asking (or insisting) that the RE put me on Armour since it is "natural" and not synthetic.  It has its side effects too, but a lot less.  Plus it treats T3 & T4.

I also read all about Hoshimoto's Disease & am shocked the RE just seemed to make it out like it's no big deal.  It is a huge deal.

When I spoke to the women who answered the phone at the REs office I told her that I really need to speak w/ the Dr today & that I am having side effects.  She agreed that she would not want to take that medicine either if she had my side effects.  I forgot to mention the rash that I got when I was away a few wks ago.  Reading the side effects from Synthroid or in my case Levothyroxine - rash is a side effect, but it is not common.  I figured I got something going in the Caribbean waters, or the hot tub or even the sun.  Now I don't think that at all, I blame the meds...

KGSMU - I see that the Gluten Free bandwagon is huge w/ Thyroid conditions.  I can't imagine not eating breads or rice - yikes...  I have cut back on it in the past -  but being 1/2 Italian - I love my bread & can't stay away very long LOL :)

QOTR - I will update you on Italy.  It should be fabulous.  I just hope we don't have any flight issues.  I don't know about your area, but there are major flight delays going on right now.  Not enough air controllers to tell plans it is ok to take off/land.  The issue started around 3 days ago & flights are being delayed up to 3 hrs.  I will miss my connecting flight if that should happen since our layover is less than 3 hrs.   

• Figures, RE calls back & I am not next to the phone.  Well he left a very long message...  He said that the meds are helping & that wt gain can happen.  He said that he can lower my dose & add another thyroid med to the mix & see if it helps with my side effects.  He stated that if I plan on moving forward with IVF with ICSI that I would need to stay on meds, if not, that my levels are not that bad & and I can stop taking the meds.

I guess I will be stopping the meds soon since we are not doing IVF with ICSI.  I may wait out this mnth just to make sure I don't get prego since I think I am Og today.  Maybe I will cut the pill in 1/2 and ween myself off instead.  Very odd since I would think w/ Hoshi I would have to stay on it.  He did say that I will prob need meds in the future & that I should see a medical endo who will work with me. 

I believe I am going to try the "natural route" and see if I can eat healthier & add suppliments to help.  Im sure the Lean Cuisine lunch every day does not help LOL

• Sorry, I am so late to this thread...  I don?t post over here very frequently... IFV is my regular board.  

As someone who is hypothyroid (autoimmune based) and has been on Synthroid for almost two years, I really feel you need to seriously reconsider the consequences of stopping the Levothyroxine.  I am not one to push my thoughts on others but as I?m sure you have read, a lack of of T4 can cause serious issues in pregnancy and can negatively affect fertility itself.  

After my last two IVF?s my TSH shot way up and my readiness to increase my dosage of Synthroid was an integral part of my knowing I was doing everything possible to sustain my pregnancies.  Sadly, despite my best efforts I suffered two early miscarriages.  

If you are steadfast on pursuing only the natural route, I urge you to think ahead of time about what your strategy will be if you are told after a positive beta that your levels are compromising your baby.    

I hope you will not take offense to any of this as I respect your right to decide which avenue is best for you.  However, I know first hand how challenging this road is when you are over 40 and thyroid issues only complicate things further.  (((Hugs)))

***SIGNATURE WARNING***

TTC #1

Me 42, DH 47

Dx = AMA/DOR, MFI

IVF/ICSI #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI #2 = BFP; early loss

IVF/ICSI #3 (DE) = BFP; early loss

FET = BFN

IVF/ICSI #4 (DE w/ CCS) = BFP

Beta #1 @ 10dp6dt = 265; Beta #2 @ 14dp6dt = 1251. 

1st U/S @ 6w2d showed one perfect little heartbeat! 

2nd U/S @ 7w2d. HB 132 & everything measuring on track.

Our beautiful little girl arrived January 2015!

• Sophistikitty, no I do not take offense to your post. I was wanting the RE to say "let's try Armour" but instead he said my levels where low enough to stop. I bought Gaia Thyroid Support from Vitamin World & took it for the first time today (no Levo) and I was not tired at all & in a very good mood. The medication i ordered through Amazon, sounds like Armour - it has the bovine dissected thyroid. This stuff was supposed to ship to me w/in 3-5 days, but it said it may show up later & I will be away already.  So I bought the Gaia as something to try right away - it is a herbal vegan supplement that got pretty good reviews.

I also tried to eat healthy today (gluten free bread at breakfast & lunch). 

i will go back on thyroid meds if the other stuff does not work, just not the Synthroid or generic pills...  I'm not afraid of taking pills, but I had so many side effects from the Levo that it was not worth it. I did not want to kill myself or someone else if i fell asleep behind the wheel.  Luckily I have only been on the Levo for about 3 mths (not years like most ppl who try to go off) so I am hoping my body is not completely depending on the meds.

i was going to give up  ttc by the end of this year. I would still love to have a baby, but have come to the realization that it is not looking to promising :( 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"