Food Allergy
Options

If you have a LO with a tree nut allergy

Do you avoid places like ice cream shops to avoid the risk of cross-contamination? How did you decide whether or not to do so?

When one of my boys had a peanut allergy (which he outgrew around 2.5) we avoided them but my other son was Dx'ed with a tree nut allergy this fall--we found out after he had walnuts on a sundae--and I'm not sure if we should completely avoid them or just make sure his own ice cream is nut-free.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009

Re: If you have a LO with a tree nut allergy

• Options
    I think ice cream parlors are one of the worst places for cross contamination, so, yes, we avoid them.  We buy sundae fixings at the grocery store and make our own at home.
  • Options

I completely avoid ice cream shops, bakeries and Chinese food bc of cross contamination. 

I didn't think Chinese food would be a problem until I ordered a nut free dish and found a whole cashew in it.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

we avoid ice cream shops and chinese restaurants.  Not worth it. 

When get a babysitter for date night we always hit up these two places. 

• Options
    imagetallica55:

I completely avoid ice cream shops, bakeries and Chinese food bc of cross contamination. 

I didn't think Chinese food would be a problem until I ordered a nut free dish and found a whole cashew in it.   

Yikes! :( Scary.

It's interesting b/c we went to all 3 of those so many times before we discovered his allergy ... so scary to think of what could have happened. (He'd had walnuts a couple times before but it had been maybe a year from the last time he had them when he had the allergic reaction.)

• Options
    EmR22EmR22 member
    We have a child with peanut and tree nut allergies and still go to ice cream shops. If you tell them about the allergy most places are willing to get a new sterilized scooper and actually open a new container of the flavor you want. 
  • Options

imageEmR22:
    We have a child with peanut and tree nut allergies and still go to ice cream shops. If you tell them about the allergy most places are willing to get a new sterilized scooper and actually open a new container of the flavor you want. 

Oh wow, that's great to know!

• Options
    We also avoid ice cream parlors, bakeries, and asian food restaurants.  We have been to ice cream parlors a few times, but the risk isn't worth it.  
  • Options

My son is ANA for tree nuts, we avoid ice cream parlors, Chinese restaurants and most bakeries. To me it is just not worth the risk.

I have found most places are too scared to say it is safe, so they recommend not coming. 

bfp #1 - 8/17/2008, natural m/c 8/25/2008, EDD 4/21/2009 bfp #2 - 10/6/2008, hb stopped at 7 w 3 d, d&e on 11/7/2008, EDD 6/19/2009 bfp #3- 3/14/2009.... stick, baby, stick!!!! (14 dpo - hcg 188, 16 dpo - hcg 421, 24 dpo - hcg 14,760!, 4/2 healthy HB of 130 bpm, 4/16 HB of 178 bpm!) bfp #4- 2/2/2011, EDD 10/17/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker a bfing, cding, wah momma Congrats to my buddies Tiffanylaw06, Jeny M & burghbaby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"