Potty Training

Potty Training - when to accept it's not working?

We started potty training my 23 month old daughter about a month ago. She does well, about 70% of the time. She goes when we put her on the potty but rarely does she tell me or my nanny when she needs to go (interestingly enough, she tells us when we're out and about, but never when in either of our homes). I went all the way with underpants so she'd understand how it felt when she would wet herself and use pull-ups only when going places where an accident would be a large inconvenience (generally, they stay fairly dry). Since she is still not telling us when she needs to go and still having accidents after a month, is it time to throw in the towel and put it on hold for a few months? If this is the case, do I remove the potties from the bathrooms and go back to regualr diapers so she understands that there is a difference between that and the pull-ups? She's pretty intuitive so I'm thinking she needs that separation that perhaps she'll ask again in the future to start again when she's able to be more successful?

Re: Potty Training - when to accept it's not working?

• If she does well 70% of the time, there is NO WAY I would go back.  I would keep asking her if she has to go and keep trying to teach her wahat to say "if you have to go pee-pee, what do you say?" and have her tell you.  Every time you put her o
  • I agree with PP. 70% is great! I wouldn't turn back now! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My rule is once I started I didn't go back to diapers at all. It just confuses them and will make it harder when you were to try again. It's normal for them at first to not tell you every time, they spent two years not having to tell you, so it's an ad

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • I'm in the middle of considering with my 26mo DD to set PT aside until the baby is born, and we're on day 3. You guys have come a long way, and I just wanted to offer that with my DS, now 4, I had to keep up with him for several weeks before he started telling me he needed to go. When at home, I would just periodically tell him to go, and he'd resist sometimes but would go. And our rule is always go potty before we leave the house and then if we're out for a while, I'd just judge that he probably needed to go, and I'd take him and tell him to go potty.   It took him a while before he started telling me on his own, but was PT otherwise. He did hold it a long time! Now, he goes when he needs to at age 4 and I mainly hold down the rule of going before we leave the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"