Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Ferber/Sleep training question

ok so LO (5 months, 3.5 months adjusted age) slept from 8pm - 2am yay :) I let him cry for about 10 min at 2 am, but then fed him, he ate 5 ounces.  I feed him after his long stretch because he always eats a lot... then he woke up 2 hours later and I let him cry in intervals of 10 minutes....patting, wait, repeat.  for an hour! and then I picked him up and he ate like an ounce and fell asleep after like 3 minutes.  so my question:::: am I not supposed to feed him? he eats a lot after the first stretch so he must be hungry, I don't want to starve my little boy.  I just don't know :( tips?

Re: Ferber/Sleep training question

• there is no point, other than my breaking point.  that is precisely my question: is Ferber method supposed to ignore hungry babies? I can't seem to find a real answer out there. 
  • what was the point of waiting then feeding? i think the point of ferber is when the baby doesn't have any needs and just wants to be held at night then you let them CIO. if baby wakes up hungry, feed him! then let him CIO back to sleep if thats what you c
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelovemyzeppelinWed117837:
    there is no point, other than my breaking point.nbsp; that is precisely my question: is Ferber method supp
  • 1. He's too young to CIO.

2. Giving in after an hour is making letting your LO cry pointless.

3. Just feed your baby.

• Couple things...

1) at 3.5 month adjusted age, your LO may not be ready for sleep training yet.

2) you seem confused about how to do Ferber correctly.  I agree with PP, have you read the book?  If not, I highly suggest you read it

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Some babies physiologically need to eat at night until they are 6 months.  So I would stick to the ferber just at bedtime at this age.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelovemyzeppelinWed117837:
    there is no point, other than my breaking point.  that is precisely my question: is Ferber metho
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry you're having a hard time. I don't use the bump often and now I know why.  Every one of the responses was sort of rude and judgy.  Give the girl a break! Like any of you are perfect parents.  We are all doing the best we can and to

• imagekjsmith9:
    My general rule now is that I'll feed her if she wakes after midnight, but she gets the paci if she's up before the
  • imageKarenCRoss:

Sorry you're having a hard time. I don't use the bump often and now I know why.  Every one of the responses w

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I also feel bad for the girl. There were some very harsh and judgemental comments. If she was trying to stave her baby why would she be asking for help, think about it and respond as adults not at 12 year olds. I feel like I am reading my 12 year olds

• imageLalaMama81:
    He is hungry and too young to sleep train. You should feed him. What's the point of making him cry for an hour and
  • imagemabenner1:
    1. He's too young to CIO.2. Giving in after an hour is making letting your LO cry pointless. 3. Just feed your baby.</di
  • imagekbruington:

imageBetty&a
    photo MeandBubs.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First off, there is nothing wrong with making your baby wait. Even at 5- 10 minute stretches, this begins to enforce the sleep training in addition to pushing back the feedings. We all wake up hungry during the night, but it doesn't necessarily mean that
  • I did allow DS to cry it out a couple of times for a longer period without going to him and it was really hard on me emotionally, but it did help. We had about 2 weeks at around 4.5 months where he was waking up at night wanting to eat, due t

• I promise this is my last...One caveat: I don't have a perfect sleeper. DS still wakes up. Occasionally I hear him babbling in the middle of the night or whimpering, but it never lasts for very long. And he has cut 3 teeth in the last month, which defi

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"