Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Separation Anxiety After Travel?

Hi there,  My daughter is 16 months old and my husband and I recently left her with my parents for 4 nights and went on a trip. They're both great with her, but she and my Mom have a special bond. My daughter regularly goes to her out of my arms, even during sleepy times. My parents have been watching her about two or three times a month since she was born and she has stayed there for up to two nights before on several occasions. She has her own crib, toys and routine at their house and never seems bothered when we leave or come back.

Before our trip, we all spent the night at my parents for both convenience and to get her settled. When we came back, she seemed disoriented by our return, but very glad to see us. Two days later she won't let me put her down whatsoever. I was expecting this, but she's also throwing tantrums and is just edgy.

My questions are:

Could part of this be teeth? She recently cut several molars at once and is working on another.

For anyone else that has had to leave town and decided to leave your baby with a familiar and trusted caregiver - how long did the anxiety last? I used 'familiar and trusted' because I know sometimes its necessary for parents to leave their baby with a relative they don't see often. In our case, she sees my parents at least every other week.

Thanks!

Re: Separation Anxiety After Travel?

• Options

A. To be honest, I know the second my kid is cutting a tooth because my normal easy going happy, eager to please child becomes a raging whiny monster. Like clockwork.

B. I've left my little more than a few times and she's always like this for a

• Options
    We left for 1 overnight and DS acted that way once we returned.... he was super clingy the day or 2 after we got back and once our routine was normal and consistent again he was better. I was just away (he was at home with DH) for 1 night and once we go h
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yeah, thinking it's a bit of both. I feel a little guilty, honestly, even though I think it's largely unfounded. I know she's loved and happy at my parents and remember all the times she seemed fine staying there.

She's usually super laid-back a

• Options
    My DH and I went away for a few days when it was just DS1 and we left him at my parents. He was pretty odd when we returned--kind of like "oh....and where did you guys go????" LOL. But got over it in a couple days. For DS2 though--I had to go away o
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"