Eco-Friendly Family

Ikea Sniglar or Giggle Harper Crib?

I'm struggling with choosing a green crib. I ordered the Stokke Sleepi originally, but it never came in and I cancelled the order. And after the terrible customer service, I didn't want to order it again from somewhere else.

I try to avoid Chinese made products, because I don't trust them, and I want to be as green as possible. Also, I have very limited space. That said, I'm not a millionaire, and can't really afford the Pacific Rim crib, or the Amish made cribs.

So, I've narrowed it down to the Ikea Sniglar, with the idea of possible changing out the particle board mattress support with low VOC plywood. I'm sure the glue is still high VOC, but at least there's no finish on the wood. It's cheap, and I can buy it right down the street. And we've got a little time to air it out before we start to use it. 

The other choice is the Giggle Harper. They claim it's green, low VOC, water based finishes, and European made. But they aren't super specific about the green aspects of it, and the Baby Bargains book says that since it's not GreenGuard certified, it's hard to know what their claims really mean. It's closer to $600, and I have to wait for shipping again.

If you have a different crib to recommend, please do!

If not, which would you pick between the two for the health of your little one?

Re: Ikea Sniglar or Giggle Harper Crib?

• Babyletto cribs (in the $250-$500) range are supposed to be made eco-friendly with non toxic finishes. Might be worth checking into. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We actually thought of doing the exact same thing with the Sniglar.  (changing out the fiberboard)  I did read that they go by the European emission standards which are even more stringent then the US so even their fiberboard is supposed emit a lot less.

I'm off to go peek at the giggle harper crib now too.  Thanks.

• Loading the player...
  • I think we've decided on the sniglar.  It's the most affordable green/healthful option that we could find.  I don't know what our mattress/support plans are yet.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"