July 2013 Moms
Options

Are baby hats necessary?

Every "coming home" outfit I see posted seems to have a matching hat. And, every hospital newborn photo I've seen the babies are wearing those little knit hats. Do they really need to wear a hat, and if so, why? 
Me: 38, DH: 35
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Are baby hats necessary?

• Options
    Yes - I believe b/c a lot of heat is lost through the head and baby is used to being cozy and warm - so it helps them adjust to the outside world.
    BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We registered for a handful of thin cotton hats. I keep hearing you should always dress them in one more layer of clothing than you would dress yourself in. Also, I plan on having my air conditioning on in the car and house in July when she arrives. I wou
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry, couldn't help but immediately think of this:

ETA: Grr, TB won't let me embed the video. It's a clip from The West Wing when Toby meets his twins for the first time. Link is below to view on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Does the hospital usually give you a hat? I know ours does
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We live in old houses which tend to be cold, so I feel like it is best to keep the hats on them with they are infants. DS1 was born in early Sept and I still kept him in hats most of the time.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, at least the first couple days. They have a lot of trouble regulating their own body heat at first... even in the summer...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagekcox123:
    Yes, at least the first couple days. They have a lot of trouble regulating their own body heat at first... even in th
  • Options
    Babies can't control their body heat and heat leaves from their head.  

• Options
    Crap and here i thought it was just a bad fashion statement hospitals universally imposed on us! lol. Sorry peanut, didn't want you to have hat hair, but looks like there's no real choice.

imageimage

• Options
    I'm surprised , even in July! We don't have central air at the house but I guess I'll be packing a hat in the hospital bag.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Our pedi explained when DS1 was born that only NICU babies actually need hats, because full-term newborns actually do okay regulating their body temp.  But, over the years, it's become standard practice to put hats on all NBs out of habit of putti

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Those hats can be so cute.  I think they are recommended for the first few days after birth, especially if you are running a/c or live in a cool climate, but they should not be sleeping in hats at home or wearing them when not directly supervised.

• Options

I just watched a video where a doctor said babies lose their body heat 5 times faster than adults, that's why you need to keep them warm with extra layers.
    (just think about it... babies are small. there is less padding between their innards and th

• Options
    As a STM I say yes they are. Without them the heat escapes their tiny bodies so hats and socks keep them warm.
  • Options
    imageJilllyBean:
    Does the hospital usually give you a hat? I know ours does
    My hospital gave us a couple hats. M
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:

Our pedi explained when DS1 was born that only NICU babies actually need hats, because full-term newborns actually d

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I'm not bothering with the hats in july even in the house or car. It's july and it'll be HOT the only thing she'll have is a headband when or if we go out.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, its recommended. However, DD HATED anything on her head. I'm talking freakout every single time we tried to do one. We don't live in a cold climate and so we decided it wasn't a battle we wanted to fight. To this day DD will shriek like you are

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    We used them in the hospital with DD but I really don't recall using them at home any. She was also a July baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"