Pre-School and Daycare

Why so much violence/aggression in his play?

It's sort of a rhetorical question because I've seen a lot of boys playing this way, but I just am still amazed at how many violent images are in his pretend play.  Superheros "smashing!" bad guys.  Sharks "killing!" fish.  Telling jokes with punchlines about the creature in the joke being smashed or dead.   When his sister falls or whatever, saying "Maybe she's going to die?"  Grumpy face is a common look lately too.

I don't think he's super violent, like a problem, but man, my sweet quiet boy is no more.  He can be very sweet, but lately, he's so "boy".  At preschool, the teacher mentioned how he's finally warming up to the other kids and "playing rough" with the other boys. I said I don't want him rough housing because I worked hard on getting him to stop hitting his friends back when he was younger, but it seems how the boys often relate to each other.

Nature vs nurture from grad school in my own home...lol.  Dd, on the other hand, loves her babies and will change their diapers and cover them up for naps.  She walks around with her "pretty shoes" on.  She wants to do makeup.  I'm not a girly girl, so it isn't coming from me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Why so much violence/aggression in his play?

• Hello,

I have noticed my 5 yo dd saying some things that really throw me for a loop.  She will calmly say things about death or killing...and I'm just like where did you hear that.  She proceeds to tell me that is what the kids play at

imageimagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageshelfrgg25:

Hello,

I have noticed my 5 yo dd saying some things that really throw me for a loop.  She will calmly

• Loading the player...
  • imagecmeon_the_water:
    I'd love to just blame school and all the little ruffians he plays with, but, you're right, there's definitel
  • imageshelfrgg25:

Hello,

I have noticed my 5 yo dd saying some things that really throw me for a loop.  She will calmly

• I don't necessarily think that discussion about death and dying is a bad thing. Unfortunately, it's something that our children are going to encounter as they go through life. My 5 year old attends a church based preschool so we often have conversation

Hawaii
  • imagesmilejenn:

I don't necessarily think that discussion about death and dying is a bad thing. Unfortunately, it's something that

• imageechowysp2:
    imagesmilejenn:<
    Hawaii
  • imagesmilejenn:
    imageechowysp2:<
  • I swore that I would be really gender neutral in my parenting, and I think I have been.

However, there are some things that just seem to be inherently different.  For instance, my DD was really into pirates for a while.  She got a playm

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • imageneverblushed:

I swore that I would be really gender neutral in my parenting, and I think I have been.

However, there are

• At my preschool we have noticed in the past month our 3/4 year old boys have gotten a lot more rough with each other, downright wrestling on the floor. At our school we strongly discourage this. We've found that the boys starting it wrestle with daddy

BLAD reppin'

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"