Third-Party Reproduction

Are donor conceived children happy?

My husband and I just had our first IUI with donor sperm. We made the decision to use donor bc my husband has a genetic issue in which he will never have children. I am reading that there are A LOT of donor children who are unhappy, sad and depressed and questioning their history and who they are as they get older. Is this true for all donor children? I want my future child to feel SO loved and know that we made the decision to have them and that we wanted them to complete our family with our entire being! That we have prayed and hoped for so long for them and love them more than anything in the world! I don't want them to feel "lost" bc they don't know who their biological father is. Anyone have a great success story to share??

Re: Are donor conceived children happy?

• I don't have children yet, however it's safe to say they will be donor embryo conceived when we finally do. I struggled a lot with your question when we first decided to start down the donor road. I didn't want my "need" to have a child to superceed my

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • This question comes up a lot in queer/LGBTQ communities.   As someone who is in a lesbian-relationship and making babies, it has always been a given that our children would be donor-conceived, and we had to make choices about whether we would

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Loading the player...
  • This is all so empowering!! Thank you! We have both agreed that honesty is the best policy. And from birth we will talk about our journey as a family. No hiding! I would hate for my child to find out from someone else that we have deceived them. And the l
  • Thank you everyone for your replies. I do worry about DD and her future but all of these posts have made me feel good. I agree with all the advice given. Thank you for asking and thanks for sharing :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I share there very same concerns. It's only recently I have found piece with the "squeaky wheel" concept. Thanks for this post OP 

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • IRRIRR member
    Thank you for this post.  As someone who has gone through 3 failed adoptions, we have a family friend that has offered to be our surrogate and we are using a donor egg.  The donor is "anonymous" but we did keep the option open when the child (if we are successful) will have a way to contact his/her mom.  I agree knowing your heritage is important, but I also see so many woman having children without "knowing" who the real father is and today 47% of births are to unmarried women, so the % of kids not knowing is growing as well.  Not saying all women don't know but there are many who don't.  I appreciate your POV and will keep this in mind as we continue our journey to becoming parents.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• @LovelyLeech‌, thanks for your openness and honesty. MH and I are currently trying to figure out what the right option is for not only us but (hopefully) for any children we might have in the future. It's very hard for the hubs to be open to "open" donor sperm. He feeling is that he will be the child's father, so why would s/he need to go find someone else, same with embryo adoption/donation or traditional adoption. I gave him an overview of what you had said though and it definitely got both of us thinking about it in a different way.
    Me: 24 | DH: 25
    Married: May 2013
    TTC: Since Sept. 2013
    Me: unusually short cycles, anovulation, possible tubal issue on right side
    DH: Azoospermia, likely not blockage, just doesn't produce any
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"