Breastfeeding

Smaller than 21mm breastshield?

I searched a bit, but apologies if I missed a post.

I have Medela 21mm flanges but they are still too big, I have read that some buy the Medela breastshield inserts and put them into the 21mm breastshield for a smaller fit.. I've also read a bit about pumping pals but have not bought any.

My problem is basically that I have small, flat-ish nipples and when the pump gets going, it winds up just sucking in a bunch of areola and I stop pumping out milk then because my nipple is just *there*.  

I already have a ton of supply issues (we dealt with bad latch, fixed it with an LC, supply issues believed to be related to PCOS, lack of weight gain, etc etc), and am basically now just trying to pump as much as I can so she gets the benefits of some breastmilk along with her formula. It's starting to feel futile to me though as I'm only getting 15cc when I pump.

Sorry I rambled a bit there - I am now using a Medela Symphony& looking for any tips/assistance in getting a better fit for pumping.

Re: Smaller than 21mm breastshield?

• I have had pretty much all of those same issues. I got the insert that goes inside the regular medela shield. I bought it from my bf support group LC. I also have to lean down so my breasts dangle into the flange and press it really hard up against me. GL
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • AmyRIAmyRI member
    I would get the Ameda flexishield areola stimulators. They can be used with the Medela standard 24mm flanges. They make pumping really really comfortable for me. You can get them on Amazon.

The pumpin pals are also good. I used the mediums f
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm in the same boat and also recommend the areola simulators... You can try pumpin pale but they were worse for me
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"