VBAC
Options

VBAC ladies....planning for epidural?

I am 23 weeks pregnant with my 3rd daughter. I had an emergency csection with DD1 (I am not good with the internet lingo but I think that means my first child...LOL). I planned on a VBAC with DD2, but didn't do my research on the whole process so I think in hindsight I should have done things a little differently. I was in extreme pain bc she was face up and putting intense pain on my tailbone. After I got the epdidural I couldn't feel anything so when it was time to push I almost felt like it was pointless. After 2 hours of pushing I was exhausted and practically begged my doc to help me. She used forceps successfully and I was so happy to finally have my little girl. I had a 3rd degree tear and 4 months of healing but I am still planning my second VBAC:)

I wanted to hear other mom's opinions on epidural. My OB office has 5 docs and only 1 of them seems anti VBAC but I feel more confident with this birth and want to stick with my plan as long as all goes well. Do other ladies planning for VBAC typically use midwives?? Was I crazy the first time I did a VBAC to plan on getting the epidural AND using an OB? I wasn't sure if other moms that have midwives are basically saying no to an epidural. I just want this 3rd experience to go a little better and I already feel like I am late to the game in planning....I think with this 3rd pregnancy I forget I am pregnant all the time bc so much to do :)

TIA!! 

Re: VBAC ladies....planning for epidural?

• Options

I think having a supportive OB is very important. I got my VBAC, but I also went into labor on my own at 36 weeks, according to my dr's due date for me. I feel like I didn't have problems because of dumb luck.

As far as the epidural goes, i

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrs.jenRN:

I think having a supportive OB is very important. I got my VBAC, but I also went into labor on my own at 36 weeks,

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think lots of women VBAC with an OB.  Having a midwife doesn't mean youo won't have an epidural.  Lots of midwives deliver in hospitals and use medical interventions like internal fetal monitors, epidurals, etc.  I think some OBs are j

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree the BOBB was a one sided for sure!! I am not sure if I just have a great hospital but I didn't have any of the issues that they mentioned in the first movie. On Netflix it is a 4 part series I think and I watched the movie about Ina May (sp??)

• Options
    My OBs practice strongly encourages epidurals when attmepting VBAC because of the higher risk of going to c/s, and with the epi you are ready, and don't need to get a spinal later. I got one with my VBAC, and it was heavenly. I will def be getting another
  • Options
    I was planning to go natural for my vbac, but I didn't. I got the epi at 4 cms, and delivered 5 hrs later. It was wonderful, I could feel and move my legs, but wasn't in pain. I felt all the pressure of DS coming down, and felt the ring of fire. We are do
  • Options
    skioskio member
    Proper preparation is key, and I commend you for thinking about this stuff now. I'm glad your first VBAC worked out and that should give you some confidence. But definitely have a plan in place for this one, too.

I am planning a med free VBA
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had my vbac in a hospital with an OB and I had an epidural. It's definitely possible and I don't think you were crazy to do it. I think a lot of people turn to midwives and birth centers because they tend to be more pro-vbac. But that doesn't mean OB

DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • Options

My ob was very supportive of my wish to vbac, but wasn't on call when my water broke.  The on call doctor didnt know I was a vbac, fortunately, because I think I would have had a csection.  I was stalled at 4 cms on pitocin for about 5 hours,

• Options
    imageshibby00:
    I was planning to go natural for my vbac, but I didn't. I got the epi at 4 cms, and delivered 5 hrs later. It was wonderf
  • Options

imageCookies2013:
    imageshibby
  • Options

With DD#1, I had an epidural and it help me relax and dilate.  It was a great epidural, I could still feel to push and I had no side effects.  So, I'm not anti-epi.  

With DD#2, I decided to keep an open mind.  My only go

• Options

Personally, I'm not planning on any pain medication.  I had an epidural when I was around 6.5 cm last time, and I think they led to my csection so I will be going natural this time using Hypnobabies.

But that's a personal choice. 

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagecchill01:

With DD#1, I had an epidural and it help me relax and dilate.  It was a great epidural, I could still feel

• Options

When deciding between OB and midwife, I decided I wanted an OB, because while uterine rupture is rare, it can go from perfectly ok, to very badly in a matter of minutes, and I didn't want them to be scrambling around paging the doctor in the event of a

• Options

An epidural made my VBAC possible.  I was fighting contractions and stalled.  Once I got the epi, my cervix opened up because I could finally relax.  I had a very long labor.

I don't think you made any wrong mistakes if you are hap

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm planning to go natural.  With my first, i had a scheduled csection due to the DD being transverse and having a large fibroid taking up room. I delivered at 38 weeks.  My doctor said everything looked great for a VBAC at my 6 week appt after
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"