Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Do you give a pillow to you toddler when they sleep?

Is it safe?  Is there a recommended safe pillow?

I worry about suffocation/SIDS. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you give a pillow to you toddler when they sleep?

• Options

We started using a pillow around 13 months when he had a bad cold/congestion to help elevate him even more since he was waking himself up with his coughing.  And we just never removed it.

We use the one that came with his activity gym/mat th

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

They don't need one so if it worries you then just don't offer one. 

That being said, we gave DD one around 18 months because she had a really bad cold and lying flat would only make her cough worse.  This was back in December an

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't.  They're not recommended until 2. 
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    She has a pillow pet in her crib that she uses as a pillow a lot of the time.  She goes to sleep on it every night, but that doesn't usually last all night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We gave DD1 a pillow when she moved to a toddler bed at 23 months, but she didn't start using it consistently until she moved to a toddler bed just before she turned 3.

DD2 has a stuffed cow that is flat like a pillow (not as big as a pillow pet)

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Our pedi says SIDS is not a concern after 12 mo.  We give DD (18 mo) a pillow but she doesn't use it as a pillow- it ends up around the crib or on the floor.

• Options
    From what I understand it's not necessarily a suffocation concern.  The rec is to wait until 2 y/o because just like with the rec to keep them RF-ing until 2 it has to do with the neck muscles (?) not being strong enough.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LO has had on for about 3 months now. He doesn't always use it, but I know he likes having the option.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I didn't give my son a pillow until he asked for one and that was at 2.5. I ended up just getting an ikea Len crib pillow. It is pretty flat, so I'm not worried about suffocation or hurting his neck.
  • Options

imageSusieBW:
    She has a pillow pet in her crib that she uses as a pillow a lot of the time.  She goes to sleep on it every nig
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    We just gave DS a pillow last week after our pedi approved it at his 18 month appt, but he has been bunching up his 'cuddle blanket' and using it as a pillow since he was about a year! He has been going to sleep on his pillow but when I check on him again
  • Options
    DD had a pillowpet around one, she rarely used it as a pillow though, I found her with her ARM stuck up his leg one morning...so we replaced him with a super flat crib pillow from IKEA. she consistently uses it as a pillow. I'm fine with it. She's over 20
  • Options
    We gave her one when she was sick around 15 months and never took it out.  She also has a elmo pillow pet that she won't let us take out so she'll sleep on both.  She keeps are head on it most of the time.
  • Options
    We gave dd a pillow when she was 12 months when she had a cold, and we switched to a toddler bed not long after, so it just stayed. She's not a wild sleeper, I don't think she moves at all during the night, so she stays on it. Every child is different, bu
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We put a flat pillow in our sons crib at 11 months. We noticed he slept better...would be in the same position we left him at night :) Lately he's had more of a comfy pillow though. Don't see anything wrong with it at that age!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"