Alabama Babies

First time mom in Tuscaloosa

Hello,

I am newly married (1.5 years) and we are expecting our first baby in October. I am a first time mother so this is all pretty new and a little scary. I work for UA as a Program Assistant (office secretary more or less) and my husband works at Best Buy and attends UA. We are making enough to get by and with a baby we are worried that we might not be able to make ends meet. Anyone have any advice on what to do? Any great place that offers good baby items for a decent price? I've already looked into places like the Thrift Store but I was wondering if there was another place I'm not aware of.

Also when the baby comes we will need to place him/her in daycare. Any thoughts on a good, affordable one? My husband still has 2 more years of school left and we agreed that baby and school go hand in hand with the important things so we are trying work it out.

Any advice on anything I didn't cover would be helpful, too.

Thanks!

Re: First time mom in Tuscaloosa

• I'm not in Tuscaloosa, but you can look into buying items on Craigslist, consignment stores, yard sales, etc.  You could try joining this yahoo group:  https://groups.yahoo.com/group/TuscaloosaFreecycle/  I just got a free (almost brand new) stroller on my local Freecycle group. There are ways to make things work on a small budget.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm in Tuscaloosa...lived here all my life.  I used to be a Program Assistant at UA, as well!  I know what the pay is like, unfortunately.  We are due with our second November 6th.  Go ahead and put your name on the list at the UA Child Development Center.  The way they pull kids' names is awful, but you might actually get in.  They didn't call me until my son was almost three.  But, their rates are really good for employees.  I have heard good things about Sherwood Forest.  My son goes to New Beginning Christian Academy in Northport.  It's our third daycare, but we finally found a GREAT one!  They love our son.  Check Deja Kids on 15th Street.  They have lots of consigned baby clothes and gear.  Let me know what you are having, when you find out.  I may be able to pass things down.  : )  ROLL TIDE!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It is fairly amazing how close our situations are, I think our husbands work together at Best Buy :) I also work at UA but I work as a Web Sales Clerk at the Supply Store. We are having a boy in July. It can be overwhelming not always understanding what the costs will be with a new baby especially on a tight budget. My husband is going through Engineering and still has around 2 1/2 years left in school. I have heard good things about Calvary Baptist daycare and it is close to UA which may be convenient for you, I have a friend who works there. I have definitely liked Deja Kids when I checked it out their clothing is particularly well priced, although the Used strollers still seems sort of expensive to me. There is also a store in Northport called Patiently Waiting, it is a consignment store as well and has some really cute clothes plus some good deals on some bedding, sheets, etc. I don't know if you have made any decision yet regarding breast feeding, but I recently found out from my doctor that most insurance covers breast pumps so you can get your OBGYN to write you a prescription and either have it completely covered or pay a small copay. The store Baby Talk in Northport is set up to process the insurance claims easily. Feel free to send me an email or something my facebook is www.facebook.com/bryngarner :)
  • In Birmingham , there is a semi annual mass consignment sale called kids market and mom. It will be again in early October. It is well worth the 45 minute drive!! Find info online!
  • Congrats on your first baby!!! I'm very close to you only about 35 minutes north. There is a great group on FB called Tuscaloosa Baby & Kids Garage Sale and I have gotten tons of baby stuff for my last bby off of there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • In addition to some of the suggestions above, I've heard of several consignment sales in Tuscaloosa.  One is called little lambs and the other is similar to "My Sister's Closet" but it's for children.  I have heard from some of my thrifty mom friends that these sales are the way to go. As someone mentioned, I think the FB garage sale for kids has been useful to some friends as well.  No experience as this is my first pregnancy. Best of luck!  I used to work at UA as well, and now I'm a student again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"