Los Angeles Babies
Options

Moving to LA area! Suggestions?

Hello ladies!
DH and I are going to be TTC in the Fall...around the same time we're moving from Minneapolis to the LA county area.  I've been offered a position as an MFT in a clinic that will be moving from Santa Monica to one of three locations in the Summer: Westside, Pasadena, or W. Los Angeles. I'm visiting this weekend to do some business and check out apartments/townhomes to rent until we can look into buying a home.  Any suggestions? Although it's limiting, we're looking into renting in the $1100-1500 price range but we want to be living in a safe neighborhood.

We used to live in Whittier while I was getting my undergrad, but didn't really venture farther north very often.  Any tips would be helpful :) TIA!

Me: 30 |  DH: 33
Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19

Re: Moving to LA area! Suggestions?

• Options
    I live in Pasadena by the Rose Bowl. Pasadena can be very expensive but you can find a nice one bedroom around pasadena city college or the South Lake shopping district in that price range. If you want a two bedroom in a nice area you'll be looking at $1600-$1800

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

It sort of depends if you are going to relocate to the Westside or Pasadena.  If you are going to relocate to the Westside, I would move to that area or vice-versa. 

If you work in the Pasadena area, you can move to Pasadena, Glendale, La Crescenta, or Montrose. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP, find out where your job is moving first! I'm sure you remember how bad traffic is here, I'd try to cut down on commute time as much as possible, and the Westside and Pasadena are quite a hike from each other! 2 br in a nice safe neighborhood will cost at least $1600. Welcome back!!
    BabyFruit Ticker S & J married 05.09.10 -- BFP #1 07.12.12, EDD 03.24.13, MMC 7w4d BFP #2 12.12.12, EDD 08.26.13, MC 12.22.12 MTHFR diagnosis 01.11.13 BFP #3 01.20.13, EDD 09.30.13
  • Options

I'm a realtor in Pasadena area. I would be happy to help you and set you up on the MLS. Private message me your email address and I will get you set up.

• Options
    I live in pasadena and work in the city and I only pay 950 for a one bedroom. It was harder to find but I'm glad I stuck with it, my first apartment was 1200 for a 600 sq foot place. I love my apartment! It's about 950sq ft and has a yard. I live on Washington blvd close to Los Robles an the neighborhood isn't bad at all the park is close and we take out daughter there all the time. I love pasadena there's so much to do and everything is so accessible. Even though this city is a but more expensive there are places for rent that won't break the bank. Matter if fact my apartment complex is renting 2 units right now. Good luck :
  • Options

La is expensive and since you want to live in a good neighboorhood that a xtra couple hundred.

Long beach so cheap but kind of far from the pasadena area

Down town la expensive like 1400 unless you want to live in the hood for 900

Lakewood nice and decent in your price range even whittier but with the traffic driving to W. La might be annoying for you. With your 3 locations I think you will be paying at the top of your budget.

• Options
    image3222w27thst:

Down town la expensive like 1400 unless you want to live in the hood for 900.

I have lived in downtown for about 4 years, and the rents have gone up considerably in that time. It will be hard for you to find a decent place in a good/clean building in a good area for under $1500. And I hate to say it, but you can forget about a 2 bedroom. Those are above $2k. You could probably get a loft, but I did that for a few months with my DH, and with our opposite work schedules, and no walls or doors we almost killed each other. It was awful.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    A little off topic but there is a great private facebook group for expectant moms and moms in Pasadena and SGV that might have some good input too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SanGabrielValleyMomsGroup/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"