October 2013 Moms

Haggling at a consignment store?

I have never shopped at a consignment store before. But, after searching CL every day JUST in case, I just found the $1800 stroller set I want for $1100 at a consignment store in my area. Now, it isn't the latest model, and doesn't come with two accessories (rain cover, purchasable for $25 on ebay, and the matching diaper bag), but that's ok with me. It's the only one I have found that is in decent condition.

Now, my question is, is it proper etiquette to haggle at a consignment store like you can at a pawn shop, goodwill, and other second hand stores, or is it consider in poor taste and not allowed?  Thanks!

PS - I know the stroller is "too expensive" and I know some of you are dying/rolling your eyes/about to scold me about the fact that I am looking at an $1800 stroller set, but that's what I want, and I won't scoff at your $3 goodwill layette if that's what you decide to get.

Re: Haggling at a consignment store?

• haha, is the '3 dollar goodwill layette' a preemptive insult at all the eye rollers?  lol. how douchey.

and yes, 1100 for a stroller set is INSANE.  you will regret this x 100000000.  

• Wow, I wish I had your budget... Here I am trying to figure out if I can get by without an infant stroller.

If the consignment shop is upscale enough to sell items of that price, I doubt they will negotiate. It's worth a try though. You coul
    BabyFruit Tickerimage

Mr. and Mrs. est. September 6, 2008 Expecting Baby #1 October 1, 2013

• Loading the player...
  • i don't shop at goodwill. i think $1100 for a used stroller is insane.

• oh and if you can afford 1100 for a stroller, you shouldn't have to haggle. lolz

• Pft. I'm with ya sister. If I want to spend nothing, I can't judge you for spending something.  That sounds like people be hatin' if you ask me!

The thing about consignment shops is that the actual owner drops off the stuff for the store t

BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • At that price, the owner of the consignment store would probably entertain an offer. Its certainly not standard practice, but that's a very unstandard price for a used baby item.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • imageCousinVicki:

haha, is the '3 dollar goodwill layette' a preemptive insult at all the eye rollers?  lol. how douchey.

<
  • i've never shopped at a consignment store or goodwill but I would imagine it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, I feel like you'll be able to find a better price for the stroller if you keep looking. You have plenty of time. $1100 for a used stroller without the
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

• imageChickypoo2468:
    imageCous
  • I am not sure if the policies would be the same, but I have a wedding dress at a consignment store now.  When I filled out the contract, she told me the price she would ask for it, and then the price that she would be willing to negotiate down to. &n
  • imageMrs.Kocal:
    i've never shopped at a consignment store or goodwill but I would imagine it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, I feel like
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imageallieb543:
    I am not sure if the policies would be the same, but I have a wedding dress at a consignment store now.  When
  • And b/c now I'm curious... what stroller retails for $1800! How did you even learn about it?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • tell us the stroller, I'm curious to see what it's going for on CL.  I live in NYC, people in Manhattan are always selling their ridiculously expensive strollers on CL. 
    imageimage

• If you love it and you want it by all means get it!!! I don't think that you can haggle at consignment shops .
  • And to think I thought $350.00 was expensive for a stroller... Thank God for family and friends, My husband and I can't/won't count on them to help. If we can't afford it, then we need to rethink the item.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg

• So...this got me wondering about what the Aston Martins of the stroller world are and apparently, there are actually Aston Martin strollers, for a mere $3000:

https://technabo

image4months_2radioflyer

• imageballygirl:

So...this got me wondering about what the Aston Martins of the stroller world are and apparently, there are actuall

imageimage

• imageballygirl:
    So...this got me wondering about what the Aston Martins of the stroller world are and apparently, there are actually Ast

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • Geez, you just blew my nursery budget....
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • For those interested, this is the latest model of the stroller set

https://www.inglesina.us/prams/buy/classica-0-36-months-package.html

The one I'm looking at

• try getting it for $800 - that would be a good deal, IMO (for THAT stroller, not for A stroller, lol) 
    imageimage

• you really want this??? it's vintage, it's cute but how is this remotely functional?  

• So you are going to have your child constantly laying down?  Up to 36 months?  I think that money would be better used towards a college savings account.

I do get it, it is adorable, but I agree with Vicki.

</p

• imageCousinVicki:
    you really want this??? it's vintage, it's cute but how is this remotely functional?  
    </p
  • Geez, that's like a down payment on a car! Well, on the kind of cheap-asss car I'd buy anyway. Smile Whatever floats your boat I guess! The styling on it reminds me of like an old
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • There is a vintage pram that looks like it's in great condition on my CL for only $550! Too bad you aren't in NY!
    imageimage

• Well, the greatest thing is, my dad says he won't be seen pushing around such a "ridiculous" stroller! I think he secretly loves it. But, in addition to paying for part of this stroller, because he knows I love it and I will be so happy with it, he is pla
  • imagetaylormarie923:

How about something with the same style and feel for a fraction of the cost?  This one is only $200:

<
  • imageNRyan55:
    imagetaylormarie92
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    imageNRyan55:
    imagetaylormarie92

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • imageNRyan55:
    imagebatmandi:</st
  • imagedaphnehuggins:
    imagebatmand
  • imagetaylormarie923:

How about something with the same style and feel for a fraction of the cost?  This one is only $200:

<
  • It's cute...very vintage, I think my Mom pushed me around in something like that.  If ya got the money I say go for it.  
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • so i am guessing this can NOT go in your car either?  this is all very confusing to me!

• imageNRyan55:
    imagetaylormarie92
    BabyFruit Tickerimage

Mr. and Mrs. est. September 6, 2008 Expecting Baby #1 October 1, 2013

• imageCousinVicki:
    so i am guessing this can NOT go in your car either?  this is all very confusing to me!
    </
  • If you're the $1800 stroller type, why are you buying it used and why are you haggling? Just buy it new. I have friends who drop that kind of cash on crap I never would and they would never buy second hand. They all carry $500 diaper bags and I'm over

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"