Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Following Directions and Verbal Communication

My wonderful son is 16 months old and constantly on the go. He's hitting his gross motor skills ahead of schedule and is a happy and easy to get along with child. Still, I have a few concerns. So far, the only commands he can follow are "Give me Five!" and "Can mommy have that?" (the latter is only successful about 75% of the time). I see other kids his age, blowing kisses, waving good-bye, hugging on command, but not David. 

Also, he says no distinguishable words. He says, "Okay!" but not in the proper context. Again, I see other kids his age saying, "No!" and "Mama" and "Dada" the way they are intended, and it makes me worry. 

Finally, he only sometimes responds to "No!" I know he must know what it means because sometimes when I tell him, "No!" he stops and cries immediately. Sometimes he ignores me entirely. I don't mean in a way that he hears me and does it anyway, but almost like he's totally ignoring me. 

Is this normal? If not, what can I do to get his verbal communication and understanding better? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Following Directions and Verbal Communication

• Options
    sounds normal to me.  Just keep talking to him.  Pediatricians usually don't worry about verbal development until 2 years because there is such a range in what's normal at this age.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options

Sounds normal to me. Just remember...that he may understand what you want, just not feel like doing it right now! My dd is the QUEEN of ignoring me if she doesn't feel like doing what I want her to do. Yet if I said "Do you want a cookie?" she would be

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's normal. DS is 19 months and probably knows how to say close to 20 words but we rarely hear them. Just in the last 2 months he's started following commands like give me a hug, tell them bye bye, are you all done, put this toy away, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • Options
    imageFabulousMrs.P:

Sounds normal to me. Just remember...that he may understand what you want, just not feel like doing it right no

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"