Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Need suggestions for staying at Grandma's house

Our 2 year old was just moved recently to a big girl bed.  For those who have done this already, you know it has taken quite a bit of time working with your child to stay in their bed and establishing a routine with their new found freedom.  

We are going out of town (2-3 hour airplane ride) for a weekend in April.  Dh's mother has asked if our daughter could stay at her house.  I am semi-okay with that, but I know she completely disagrees with everything we have done to put our daughter in a new routine.  I would honestly prefer if she stayed at our house, mostly because the monitor is here, the dog, and all her "equipment" we use everynight to get her to stay in bed.  

The bedroom she would stay in also is very close to the road, which scares me bc my daughter will just run out anytime, unlock doors, etc. Safe to say, the house isn't very baby proofed and I am worried since we will be so far from our daughter- yet I understand I cannot micro manage my MIL on what to do while she is staying her her house.  I just don't know what to do, but it scares me to death to leave her knowing they will just go to sleep, and she could just wake up in the middle of the night and walk out of their house.   

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.  We have left her before but she has stayed at our house.  Overall, sleeping in a big girl bed is such a new experience for her and I just don't know what to do without being an overprotective mommy :) 

Re: Need suggestions for staying at Grandma's house

• Options
    Leave her there and enjoy.  I am sure your MIL loves your daughter very much and will take precautions to keep her safe. When you drop her off remind MIL that she is a runner and to keep the door locked.  My mom sleeps on a different f
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You can take the monitor over there.  And I presume you can talk with your MIL to make sure the door is properly secured.  The rest... she'll be fine. Maybe not parented the way you would, but for a few days, she'll be totally fine.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would ask MIL to stay at your house for all the reasons you listed. But I'm crazy nervous about everything so not sure I'm much help ;
  • Options

As far as safety, talk to MIL, and maybe buy a knob lock if you feel better about th door.mDS can reach the bottom lock on our door, so we put in a asp like you'd hav on a hotel. I doubt MIL want ou drilling into her walls, but there are removable item

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks everyone.  DH and I were talking about this earlier and it looks like he will talk to her.  We have an extra cover we can put on the door so she can't get out of the room and i am going to ask her to take over her monitor, the dog, pos

• Options
    You could insist that she use the monitor and set it up.  Explain your fears, I'm sure she also wants to be sure that your DD is safe.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"