Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

19 month old & Peanut butter?

My son is almost 19months, and he's a great eater. He eats just about everything that we do, including shellfish/fish, all meats, veggies and fruits. The ONLY food we haven't introduced yet is peanut butter; I was wondering how bad of an idea is it to give a 19 month old small amounts of peanut butter. He's recently had coconut, which I know is debatable- I consider it a nut, but my husband fed him part of an Irish potato, not realizing that cocnut is a nut; he had no problems. Neither my husband or I have any food allergies on either side of our family.
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 19 month old & Peanut butter?

• Options
    You're fine to give it to him. DD has been eating PB since she was 10 months old. There's new data suggesting that delaying introduction of foods can actually increase the chance of having a food allergy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • Options

We introduced PB to DD shortly after she turned 1. The newest research says to introduce allergenic foods to babies earlier rather than later.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/03/19/how-

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DS has had peanut butter since he was 11 months old with no problem. He is actually allergic to eggs. I think most kids are going to be allergic to the foods they are going to be allerigic to no matter when you introduce it. In fact, I think the Ame

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
  • Options
    DS loves peanut butter!  We gave it to him around 11 months and he's done fine with it.  If you don't have a history of peanut allergies in your families then I would definitely give it a go!
  • Options
    It's fine. My DD has been eating peanut butter for a couple months.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Thanks everyone! I've been hesitant because I hear so many conflicting theories! We will be having a PB&J together very soon!

• Options
    Especially if you don't have a family history, it should be fine. We have been giving since about 12 months with no problems. We don't have any food allergies, but my mom and grandpa are allergic to shellfish, so we are waiting on that.I don't eat a lot o
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We introduced it around 10 months with DS.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    We did peanut butter around 11 months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBella61811:
    You're fine to give it to him. DD has been eating PB since she was 10 months old. There's new data suggesting that dela
  • Options
    I'm surprised you haven't discussed this with your pedi yet. LO has been having peanut butter and other nuts since around 9 months when I was told to introduce protein into her diet. 
  • Options

imageBella61811:
    You're fine to give it to him. DD has been eating PB since she was 10 months old. There's new data suggesting that
  • Options

I'm a little sensitive to the peanut butter issue right now because two nights ago I gave DD a very small bite o

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options
    imagemegann831:
    <div style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10pt;padding-top:8px;padding-right:8px;padding-bottom:8
  • Options
    If you are concerned give it to him right before his next pediatrion visit. That way if there was an issue you would have a doctor right there
  • Options
    The only thing I'd worry about that a pp mentioned was choking.  Please be careful.  It's a family worry of ours because one of my dad's cousins died choking on a peanut butter sandwich.  Keep it spread thin and watch are fully.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I introduced PB at 10 months.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options

imageBella61811:
    You're fine to give it to him. DD has been eating PB since she was 10 months old. There's new data suggesting that
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had absolutely no history of the allergy and I dabbed a bit on my son's tongue when he was 11 months old.  Well low and behold, he is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.  I was in utter shock as a rash spread all over his body.  Luckily,
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"