Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

inappropriate for a toddler?

I nursed DS until he was 16 months old.  For several months after that, he had a habit of putting his hand down the front of my shirt and resting it on my chest (not on my breasts) while I was holding him.  Not all the time, but when he was tired or anxious, etc.  I usually wear scoop or v-necks, so it's not like he would be shoving his hand way down.  And I don't think anyone ever pointed it out to me as weird (not even my mom).  Anyway, he stopped doing it for the most part several months ago (probably between 2 & 2.5 yo).  

The other night we were out of town and at a restaurant with DH.  We were standing in the lobby after dinner and a long day.  DS was tired and put his hand on my chest under my shirt.  DH practically created a scene about it which just made DS more upset.  Later DH told me that it is totally inappropriate for DS to be doing that and it makes him really uncomfortable.  I think it was fine, and really don't think it is something that should make anyone feel uncomfortable, especially not my own husband.  I don't even remember the last time DS did that, so it's definitely not a problem.

Would any of you think it was weird or even think twice if you saw this happening?  I honestly think it's weird that DH has such a problem with it.  But please tell me if you think he's right.

This is incredibly long for such a stupid thing, but I am so annoyed at how upset the whole situation made DH. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: inappropriate for a toddler?

• Options

Gah!  I HATE it when adults sexualize children, and that's exactly what he was doing.  It would be inappropriate for an adult to do it because we assume it's a sexual connotation (breasts), so therefor the child must also be inappropriate and

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DD also puts her hands down my shirt.  It doesn't bother any of us.  I am sure she will grow out of this habit, just like she eventually stopped putting everything in her mouth.  

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD only BF for a month, and loves to shove her hand in between my boobs. Maybe because its nice ad warm? I am constantly telling her to get her and out of my shirt, but its nothing to freak out over.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't think twice if I saw you with your kid's hand down your shirt.  I breastfed DD until 13 months, and she never stuck her hand down my shirt, but I can totally see how it's a comforting thing for your kid.

I'd actually be more upset

• Options
    I never nursed either of my kids and DD likes to rest her hands in my shirt as well, especially if she's sleepy. It's skin to skin and she probably can feel my heart beat. It's no big deal at all and I'v never thought twice about it. If I saw it in public
  • Options
    I still nurse DD2 and she constantly has her hand down my shirt.  She even falls asleep that way. I am not wierded out by it (most times, unless she's pulling my shirt down too far and then I tell her hand out and it's not an issue) but DH think
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I only ever mind if DD pulls my top down far enough to expose my bra or too much cleavage for the situation. But like pp, I just tell her to move her hand up.

DD1 who is over 3 seldom puts her hand down my top now, but does from time to time if s

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Totally normal. I nursed my son until 24 months. He still loves to sleep with his head on my breast. also when I get home from work he will often climb on my lap and nuzzle his face against my breast through my shirt. He still occasionally says "drink

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

DD self weaned at 32 months. Every time she snuggles in she pulls the front of my shirt down a bit so she can rest her face on my chest. DH and I joke that maybe she wasn't *really* ready to wean. 

So, yea... I don't think it's weird and wou

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD will put her hand down my shirt occasionally.  I just take it out and move on.  It's not a big deal, it doesn't mean anything strange to a toddler.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Options
    It's not a problem. They don't know any different. I know it's different, but my DS loves to hold/play with a mole that I have on my chin. My MIL always says it's weird and she hates to see him do it. It's a comfort thing for DS and it's NO BIG DEAL!! If
  • Options

I agree, and my son still does this sometimes. It's not sexual, toddlers don't have that concept. You are warm and soft and smell good, be it your arm, your face, your chest, your hand. It's all the same to him. 

I think your DH is being abs

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"