Stay at Home Moms
Options

DH Job WWYD?

So every year, DH has to tell his employer about his willingness to relocate.  The 3 options are not willing (answering this way is a bad move career wise), possible interest, strong interest.  For the 5 or so years he has worked for the company, DH has put possible interest but basically said in the comments section he prefers to stay in Houston because of his wife's career.

However, he is at the point in his career where it is very likely that he will need to relocate in the next few years.  This would involve moving away from Houston for 3-6 years or so and then probably moving back.  We are trying to decide whether we should just go ahead and say we want to relocate rather than wait for it to happen later.  If we express interest in relocating, it would most likely happen in early 2014 when DD is about 1.5.  

My plan has been to return to work full time when DD is 4 and possibly before that.  My best job opportunities are probably in Houston.  If we are in Houston, I may also try to do some part time independent contracting work when she is younger (possibly as early as 1.5).  

My thought has been that it would be better to move soon and hopefully move back around the time that I am ready to reenter the workforce.  DH is worried it would be difficult to move while DD is so young and have such a change to everything she knows.  We also like Houston and some of the places we might have to move, we don't particularly like.  There is a chance that they could just leave DH in the Houston area indefinitely, but that is not the norm.  Still, DH thinks it might be silly to ask to move when if we stay quiet, we might not ever have to.  

So, would you express interest in moving and have a greater likelihood of moving sometime around the time DD is 1.5 and probably move back to Houston when she is either 4 or 7? Or would you just say you are open to whatever and possibly move when DD is 1.5 or possibly when she is around 4-5 or possibly not at all?  If we move when she was 4ish we would probably move back when she is 7 or 10. 

I do have to admit that even though there are some places I don't really want to end up, the possibility of moving somewhere new is kind if intriguing but I also think it might just be the idea I like and not the actual reality.  None of the possibilities are dream locations.

Hopefully this makes some level of sense.  Thank you if you made it all the way through! 

Re: DH Job WWYD?

• Options
    We moved across the country, when DD1 was 1.5 and she was fine.  We moved to a new house (same city), when DD1 was 3.5 and it took her at least a week to be comfortable in the new house.  I'm sure it would have been worse, if it was to a new cit
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    Yep, it's easier to move younger kids. If he has a high chance of having to relocate anyway, I'd probably just want him to volunteer sooner rather than later.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's nice that you might have the option to time your moves to coincide with LO's going to school and your re-entering the workforce. We have just moved where the work is, regardless of timing.

I understand about the possible locations not being

• Options
    I would move around sooner rather than later. We've had to move 4 times since DD was born and it hasn't been a problem for her at all. 
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree moving with a younger child is easier - well, except the packing/unpacking part, ha ha.  Could you again choose "open to the possibility" middle option but this time in comments put something like, "We love Houston and would love to remain he

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would prefer to move while they are young and get back to where you will settle down at the earliest age possible so that they can get into their school and stay there.  

Dh's job involves moving and most likely we won't move for another y

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Moving with younger kids is easier than moving with school-aged kids or even older preschool kids. If I had a choice I would move with younger kids. We have moved several times in the last 5 years in order for H to advance in his career. We chose to do

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageTeacher Clark:
    I personally think it is easier to move a really young child then a school aged one. They are less invested in
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"