Two Under 2

what do you do with your toddler when?

I have a 6 month old baby who I am trying to transition from our bed to his crib for naps and night. I have been at it for about a week and sometimes he's asleep in his crib within a few minutes, other times it takes over an hour to get him to sleep. He never sleeps in there for more than 40 minutes during the day but has slept as long as 2 hours at night. He's starting to get savvy to what's going on and I think he's really resisting as the last day or two has been horrible. I am resorting to TV for the 2.5 year old and finding myself "on edge" and short tempered all the time. She's very verbal and ALWAYS talking and needing something. I am trying to read some sleep books for advice but, honestly, what mom of two little kids has the time??? I think I am losing it. I try to be as AP as possible, but I need to get over this hump as quick as possible for the harmony in the family as a whole- even if I have to endure some tears. (How to true AP moms of more than one do it?!?! I would need to be on xanax) I try my hardest to adjust my expectations and attitude, but this is hard because I am not well-rested. I guess I need to know if this is hard for all moms? And, what do you do to occupy your toddlers during these transitions? Do any of you just plop your baby in the crib on some sort of schedule and maintain that each day till he/she adjusts- even at the expense of some serious crying? Ok, that was a lot of questions. Maybe I just need some encouragement...

Thanks in advance.  

Re: what do you do with your toddler when?

• My first DD had a rough transition from bed sharing to the crib at night around 6months.  I took care of all her needs first- dry diaper, full tummy, and then put her down in the crib.  It didn't matter how long I rubbed her back and soothed

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thank you so much for your honesty and I appreciate your advice! With both babies, I start out all "Dr Sears" and eventually merge into the polar opposite "Babywise" (neither literally, though)
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry you're having a rough time!  You're not losing it, IT'S HARD!!!  I was a strong believer in schedules for both kids, and lucky for me, they both took to them quite well (I didn't BF, so I think that's why I was able to do that earl

• My 2.5 year old would be content to watch Dora or play with an iPad for hours, so if I need her to stay in one place there is that.  I don't feel terrible about giving her the iPad, since it is somewhat educational that she likes to trace alphabet le
  • is keeping your 6 month in your bed an option? i noticed that sometimes if i tried to make a transition and it was a rough process, if i waited another month or two to try again it was much less painful for all involved. your lo may just not be ready
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lurker here... I bit the bullet at the 6 month mark and let DS cry it out.  It took 2 nights and was totally worth it.  I did the same thing with DD earlier than that and finally got some sleep.  Fast forward 11 years... my DS still doesn't
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • IMO, CIO is the best option. With DS he stopped napping completley by 4 months and by 5 months he was no longer sleeping through the night. His Dr recommended letting him CIO at his 6 month appointment. So we did. He was already on a schedule, except that
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"