November 2011 Moms
Options

Opinion.... Homeschooling

I was just wandering around on the bump and noticed the homeschooling board. I have a friend I see once in a while who keeps talking about homeschooling her kids. I can't give her the opinion she wants. I was wondering what your opinions are on homeschooling, and if you plan to send your LO to school or homeschool.

I have an incredibly biased opinion. I am a teacher, my mom has been a teacher for years, and I feel that yes there are flaws with our education system, there's something every child gets from being in school that you cannot emulate through homeschooling.  I teach first grade. At this age, they are still learning how to be in school, how to follow a schedule, how to sit at a desk, how to walk in line, and even how to talk to classmates. I feel students gain the social skills needed to function in any school or work environment, etc.

I'm starting to ramble, and yes I know my opinions are biased. I just wanted to get reactions from other moms.

Married 02.06.10
DS1 born 11.19.11
DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Opinion.... Homeschooling

• Options

FI and I have not made a definite decision on this yet. Part of me wants to homeschool DD and our future children and part of me doesn't. I agree with you that school teaches children many skills beyond that of just reading, math, etc. but I do think i

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagealysson.lawless:

I was just wandering around on the bump and noticed the homeschooling board. I have a friend I see once in a

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Public/Private education for us. I don't have the confidence in myself to teach my kids every subject very well. That being said, I know that in some areas, you can work with a group of homeschoolers. So if you are great in one area of teaching, y

• Options

My mom watches DS and I keep joking with her that she will be homeschooling him. However my siblings and I all went to a parochial private school. My nephews are now following the same tradition. My husband and I have already decided that DS will keep

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    I think homeschooling works if you DO IT THE RIGHT WAY! I teach 3rd grade and would consider homeschooling LO if we could afford it. Some people think it is really easy and it is not. You need curriculum, materials, a good library and a support group. My
  • Options

DH and I are planning to homeschool our children.  We see it as a normal extension of parenting.  I taught in a public school before getting married, and while I believe that there are excellent teachers in many/most public schools, I know th

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Options
    I pretty much agree with all you've said OP. "There's something every child gets from being school that you cannot emulate through homeschooling." That said, we live in an area with VERY good schools and if we lived in an area with terrible schools and co
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageLittleMommaBlueHen:

DH and I are planning to homeschool our children.  We see it as a normal extension of parenting.&nbsp

• Options
    imageStefB28:
    imageLittleMommaBl
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options
    It will depend on what the public school system is like and/or if we can afford private school.  With DH in the Army, we have no clue where we are going to end up when DSs start school.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would love to homeschool, it will all depend on if we can afford for me to stay home. I am not super religious or anything, but I disagree with the things children are learning from other children.
  • Options

I've thought about it but I don't believe it is something DH or I will ever seriously consider. The few people I know that were homeschooled were smart (with the exception of one, who clearly wasn't taught properly) but all had severe social issues at

• Options

I have no interest in homeschooling and they would have incredibly poor math skills if I tried.  I will be sending my children to public school.  There are events and learning from my school years that I love and would be sad if my children m

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options

I'm not anti-homeschooling, but I'm not a fan of it either (if that makes sense).  It would not be the first choice for my child for lots of reasons.

I do, sadly, think the public school system (at least in my state) is very much flawed, but

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"