Baby Showers

Sip&See / Meet the Baby

Just curious why so many of you side-eye these types of events?

My dad offered to throw us a meet the baby bbq in early autumn. I thought it was a lovely idea until I started reading this board, and now Im concerned theres some ettiquette issue with it.

What am I missing? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Sip&See / Meet the Baby

• I don't personally side eye them.  And i've thrown them out as options to situations where people want a party but no one is offering to throw them a shower.

I will say, though, that I've never known anyone IRL whose had one of these. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I haven't seen much side-eye of sip and see parties....usually when someone comes on wanting a 2nd shower, it's suggested they have a sip and see instead.  I think things only get judged when they appear to be gift-giving events, which a sip and see
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No side-eying here.  There are two circumstances when I've seen these:

1. Religious or cultural norm says no shower, so they do a 'meet the baby' party later (no gifts required, usually no registry)

2. 2nd or more kid, when a showe

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image,
  • I think it sounds nice. I would love it if someone offered to host a MTB party for me. :)

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • imagecinderin:
    I think it sounds nice. I would love it if someone offered to host a MTB party for me. :)
    <P
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image,
  • imageM0ON:

Just curious why so many of you side-eye these types of events?

My dad offered to throw us a meet the baby bbq in

• imageSCtoDC:

imagecinderin:</

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

• I didn't know meet the baby parties were side eyed. My family are throwing two showers for me before the baby is born different sides, no overlapping guest lists. However we will also be doing a meet the baby party because we live two hours away from our
  • I think people get carried away about these ettiquette rules!!! It's 2013-not the 1950's!  I think it's a great idea, and who wouldn't want to meet the baby? Don't let judgmental women cause you to second guess what you want to do to celebrate your b
  • We have family two hours away and family 4 hours away. We will probably try to throw a little meet the baby get together in both locations at some point so that the families can see our new baby since we don't get to either place regularly. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think Meet the Baby parties are defnitely Awwwwish and I'm OK with that.  You SHOULD awww your baby.  We had one after #2 and #3.  Just combined them with your annual BBQ.
  • I think most people WANT to help you celebrate your new addition. Whether it be in the form of a shower, a sprinkle, or Sip and See. I enjoy going to these celebrations for my friends and family members. But, I'm also one who isn't necessarily o
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our situation is a little weird because we live far from family (7 hours from his, 9 from mine).

We plan on having 2 Meet the Baby picnics this fall- one in each hometown.  This will be the first time anyone in our families (except our

• imageordinary1:
    imagecinderin:</

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

• I think the side eye comes if it's just one in a string of parties.  If you have a normal pregnancy (sans grand life moment parties) and then want to have an open house to invite your close friends and family over to meet the baby, then that's fabulo
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • The only time I personally have issue with a sip n see or whatever you want to call it is when someone expects them to involve gifts.
  • I'm confused. I've never actually seen them side-eyed on here at all...except under the extreme circumstances that Ballsox described. In fact, we encourage them when someone wants to throw themselves a shower...we usually tell them that if they really j
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • image1026pumpkin:
    I haven't seen much side-eye of sip and see parties....usually when someone comes on wanting a 2nd shower, it's sugg

• If you want to do a sip and see you go ahead and do one it is your business.

Personally, I dont want one because of my reasons, i am having preemies in May (identical twin girls), we dont know how long they gonna here in NICU and then afterwards

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have been invited to/attended multiple sip and sees. Usually, in my experience, it is thrown by the grandparents as a way for their friends to AW the baby. 

I think they are lovely. People stop by casually, come and go. See the baby. Mingl

image image

• I don't side eye them.

We're doing one in June (a BBQ) for our close family and a couple friends. It's less about having a party and mostly so I can defer people from visiting right after the baby is born.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IMO, Sip & Sees are best for, like, when the mom and baby are from out-of-town. Having a Sip & See for both of my kids was SO much easier than people dropping in constantly to my parents' house to see the baby and I. With a Sip and See I knew in a
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • M0ONM0ON member

No specific post comes to mind, but I have seen a few comments here and there likening sip&sees to, say, gender reveals. I have plenty of older family members who absolutely do care about "1950s" ettiquette, and I try to honor that wherever its rea

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"