LGBT Parenting

What is the benefit of having an early u/s?

Hi ladies, I'm in a dilemma and I want your advice. My RE wants to see me at 5 1/2 weeks for ultrasound and I think it is too early. We did this last time and there was no heartbeat. It was devastating. Then we had to "wait it out" for a couple of weeks to see if the heartbeat would show up, if it would be spontaneous m/c or if I would need a procedure (I opted for meds rather than d&c).

What are they really going to see at 5 1/2 weeks? That there is a sac and only one baby? I also want to transition to a local OBGYN so I called her and the earliest she can get me on her schedule to see me is 9 1/2 weeks.

I guess for those not struggling with IF, this is a normal time to have a first u/s (between 8-11 weeks). I assume that most people here at a u/s at 5-7 weeks because RE makes that available. I just feel like I want to trust that everything is okay and not analyze every little development.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 9 1/2 week local appointment. I realize I could also ask RE to see me at 7+ weeks but they only do u/s at 11am which means I would have to take the whole day off work to get there and back. If we have it locally, my wife can be there too it is just down the road.

Maybe my desire for 9 1/2 week is driven by fear. I just would rather avoid the stress of an early ultrasound. 

M&K met 8/2002 married 6/2012
TTC with RE since March 2012
3 missed O's, 6 IUIs = 1 BFP then 8 w M/C, 5 BFNs
(2 unmedicated IUIs, 2 clomid IUI, 2 femara IUI)
Shared maternity/partner IVF, transfer #1 BFP!
EDD 11/28/13

Re: What is the benefit of having an early u/s?

• I can only answer as a non-RE/IVF pregnant lady who's only had two u/s (8w6d and 18w2d).

It sounds like you don't want the 5.5 week u/s and have valid reasons. I'd explain to the RE your reasoning for wanting to wait and see what they say. Fo

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks Joy, this is good advice! I appreciate it!

I'm just meditating and trying to put good energy toward baby instead of stress and fear. I trust that all will be well, and if all isn't well then I will deal with it at that point!
    EDD 11/28/13
  • Loading the player...
  • MK,

While we didn't do IVF, we did have two u/s before moving to the OBGYN. I had one at 6w4d and 8w4d and was then released. I then wasn't able to get to the OBGYN until 11 weeks. Basically in my 6w u/s they looked at/measured my cysts supporti

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey MK! Great advice from Joy above.

My thought is that 5.5 weeks is kinda too soon and all that would show would be the sac - I ended up having my first u/s at 6w1d, and we did see a fetal pole and a hb of 111. At 8w1d, we were up to

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• You make good points. On the other hand, maybe you will see the heartbeat at the early ultrasound and all this is moot. 

Also, if there were other issues, wouldn't the blood test help identify this since HCG won't keep doubling if there is a

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like 2Mamaz said, I feel like a lot of this is really influenced by our prior experiences.  In my case, I had a blighted ovum so if we had had an earlier ultrasound, we would have known earlier that it wasn't viable.  My RE wanted to do the f

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is why I love you ladies. You gave me a lot of things to think about and the ability to look past my fears. I will keep both appointments and talk to my RE today about when to have the first one. Thanks for the responses!
    EDD 11/28/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"