Blended Families

Help me figure out how to arrange the kids

A short back story - I have two bio kids (DD is 11 and DS is 21), and my H has two bio kids (SS is 15 and SD is 7). My DD lives with us 70% of the time, SS is with us EOW, SD is with us whenever BM lets her come over, but rarely stays the night and my son has been living in Arizona with his bio dad and grandparents for the last 2 years (we live in California).

Last summer we moved from our 4 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom, plus a loft off the master bedroom townhouse. My DD and SS obviously have the extra rooms, and we use the loft as the office (to access the loft you have to come into the master bedroom).

Here is where I need help. My son is moving home in May, and I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out where to put him. He said he will sleep on the sofa, but it would drive me nuts if he slept on it every day, as our family room is small and right next to the kitchen. My DD is dead set against sharing her room with her brother, although she did say he can use half of her closet. My H suggested letting my son use SS room while he is at his Mom's, which is sounding like the best option. I would put one of the kids in the loft, it's bigger than their bedrooms, but my DD said NO WAY and the boys are too loud with their guitars to be in there all the time, plus they hermit in the bedrooms all weekend.

Here are the options that might work, tell me what you think.

1. my son uses SS room and we move SS to the loft, since he isn't at our house that often, but he would have to sleep on the sofa pull out bed (i don't want him sleeping in my room)

2. my son only uses SS room when he isn't there, then sleeps in DD's room on the weekends SS is here, and we have my DD sleep in our room or the loft (I can probably bribe her with money or a trip to the mall to do it).

3. I have my DD and DS share her bedroom and she can just throw a fit.

Any other ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

Re: Help me figure out how to arrange the kids

• I am know I sound snarky here, but at 21 why is he moving back in with you? 

My solution would be to make a temporary space in the garage. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageIlumine:

I am know I sound snarky here, but at 21 why is he moving back in with you? 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Loading the player...
  • Why can't SS and DS share a room? That seems the most obvious if you don't want one of them to have free access to your bedroom all the time.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• I agree that the younger under 18 kids should get first priority in rooms. I would also be making it clear to your DD that she is not calling the shots, you and DH will decide, its your house.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• imageIlumine:

I am know I sound snarky here, but at 21 why is he moving back in with you? 

My solution would be to make

• imagepiffle42:
    I wouldn't put anyone out if their rooms. I second the 21 yo in the loft or the garage. Or could he stay in SS room whe

• I don't see a problem with having the boys share a room. If your DS was a DD, then I'd suggest sharing a room with the sister. I don't think it would be a good solution to have a step-brother and step-sister sharing a room - especially a 15 and 11 year ol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'd put SS in the loft. It's only every other weekend. Make him practice guitar in the basement
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would set the loft up at his 'space' but have him sleep in SS room until SS comes over.

I'm with you on not losing your family room.  That would drive me nuts!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the boys sharing a room.  Would two twins fit in the room?  Or a twin over twin loft (IKEA, pretty inexpensive and sturdy). A discussion with both of them about sharing the space and allowing the other time alone in the

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think your option B seems the best. i would not do the loft thing, if its only accessible thru master bedroom. Have him sleep in SSs room when its not occupied and when SS is there, he can temporarily sleep on the couch. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"