Blended Families

unbelieveable!!

I asked my accountant if the money we paid for SS's college tuition was deductable and she told me it wasnt because 2012 wasnt our year to claim him as a dependent.Okay,I get that.   She then explained to me that even tho she didnt pay a penney, my SS's  BM could take the deduction - Ha!  No way in heck am I saying a word to her or letting her know what we paid.  Thats total BS.

Re: unbelieveable!!

• That is crazy.  So glad the whole CS mess ends at 18 here. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Omg, I would be furious. No way should you have to supply her with that information so she can claim it either.

My DH pays half of daycare for SD. They switch who claims who each year, this year was his turn for SD. He can't claim any of the
  • Loading the player...
  • This would make me very angry.  I feel for you.  Why should she get credit for what you paid?  There is no way I would give her the information. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WOW! That totally sucks! It'd be awesome if that could "count" as part of CS or your share of expences, but if BM claimed it, it would end up being "extra" money for her! Ugh! Totally not fair!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Lurker here, I'll crawl back under my rock after I refute this. :-)

Either you misunderstood your accountant, or she doesn't know what she is talking about. 

Go to the IRS site and read Pub 970, spe

• I too think it is totally ridiculous and unfair, but it is what it is. And since you can't claim it, what's the point of not letting BM? It just seems spiteful to me. If you can't benefit from it why not let someone else? Does it harm you in any way to le
  •  am just guessing that you are a BM and not the SM.

I dont think ANYONE Should be able to take a deduction for something they didnt actually pay for. 

Also, she hasnt contributed to ss's college education.Nothing. Zip.  Now y

• imageMrs.H.:
    nbsp;am just guessing that you are a BM and not the SM.I dont think ANYONE Should be able to take a deduction for something
  • imagetwister22:
    I too think it is totally ridiculous and unfair, but it is what it is. And since you can't claim it, what's the poi
    BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"