Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Water/Juice when Baby is Sick?

My LO is about 6 months old and he has his first cold.  Had a slight fever yesterday and we took care of that with a little Tylenol.  Now he's just got a bit of a runny nose and he's been sleeping most of the day on and off.  And playing a bit when he's awake.  Just wondering if in addition to his bottle, should I give him a bit of water and or/juice while he doesn't feel well?  The pedi said to make sure he stays hydrated when he has a fever, but now that that's gone, I'm wondering if I should still give him extra fluids just because he's not up to par yet?  Thanks!

Re: Water/Juice when Baby is Sick?

• Options
    Only introduce extra fluid like that if LO doesn't have enough wet diapers or is showing other signs of dehydration. If he's drinking enough milk, you shouldn't need to supplement.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You shouldn't need to give him extra fluids if his diaper output is fine. BM or formula should be keeping him hydrated. That being said, there's absolutely no reason to give your LO juice at 6 months old.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the responses!
  • Options

Juice has a whole lot of sugar, I wouldn't give him juice but Pedialyte makes a infant version with very little sugar but enough to make it taste appetizing.  Other than that, offer him water often but if he refuses, don't try to force him.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd consult your pedi before offering anything other than BM or formula. Especially juice....

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Options

Never give juice or water without consulting pediatrician. As long as pee is still going no extra fluids are needed. Pediatrician may recommend pedialyte but our DS just had a really bad cold with a horrible runny noise & dr said because of all the

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"