Attachment Parenting

need serious toddler sleep help. cio?

i seriously need some help with my 18 month olds sleep habits. 

she has never been a good sleeper. we bed shared from newborn until about a little after a year,  when i transitioned her to her toddler bed because she cried so much when i tried to put her in the crib. she does not sttn, she usually wakes 3-4 times a night, just because she wants me. i have to lay down with her to get her to sleep at night. i usually end up bringing her into my bed in the middle of the night because im too tired to deal with it. that was working for a while, but now shes even waking when shes in bed with me. 

now, shes also fighting her nap during the day. i have tried to be very consistent with the time and that has not worked. we have a bedtime routine that we also use for naps. it has gotten worse and worse, and it takes an hour sometimes more to get her to sleep (both for naps and bedtime). i have tried moving her nap up earlier, and also later, and neither works. even when she completely skips her nap she wont go to bed until 9 pm, sometimes later.

i have seriously tried everything. if i leave her in her room, she will just get up to play. this is a kid who has never even fallen asleep in her car seat. she is fighting it so much and i cant take it anymore.

i think i am going to have to do cio, even though i really do not want to. i was thinking of putting her crib back up so that she can not get out.

does anyone have any suggestions other than moving her nap time? has anyone tried cio with a toddler and been successful? please help me, im so desperate. i have a new baby due in october and i cant spend two hours on her bedtime at night. my dh is deployed so i am alone in this. 

Re: need serious toddler sleep help. cio?

• What, exactly, is the problem?

I'm not trying to say there isn't one, but I'm not clear on what it is.

How much sleep does she get in a day? How is her behavior and overall health?  Does she ACT like she is tired all the time?

Ar

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jshfjshf member
    I did the Sleep Lady Shuffle with DS1 around 20 months.  We had to do it for a couple weeks and he was doing great.  We did have setbacks when we went on vacation, sick, etc.  But after about 26-28 months, he's never had a problem putting h
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTiffanyBerry:

What, exactly, is the problem?

I'm not trying to say there isn't one, but I'm not clear on what it is.

• imageBeachMama7693:

the problem is that i cannot spend two hours putting her to bed at night and naps when i have a newborn baby in

IMG_8355
  • We did the sleep lady shuffle method when DS was about 14 months old.  It at least got us into a chair in his own room and out of our bed (and his bed, and rocking him to sleep.)  However, it never did get us out of that dang chair.  We

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • to the last two posters, pitterpat and tiffany- do you suggest putting her in the crib, or just trying these methods in the toddler bed where she is now?

she has never, ever, slept in a crib, so that in itself will be a huge change.

everyon

• imagefredalina:
    Well, if it will help you to share what we did at that age, I'll share. I will say it wasn't as bad as your situati
  • I'd stick with toddler bed, because you'll be going there eventually anyway, and I don't think all kids sleep better in a crib, but that's me. I think you have to go with your gut on this one.
    IMG_8355
  • I think I have the male version of your daughter. My son will nap ok, and by ok I mean he will kick the walls, talk to himself, get up and half destroy his room before eventually going down for an hour. The kids usually take a two hour nap but since we

• imageBeachMama7693:

to the last two posters, pitterpat and tiffany- do you suggest putting her in the crib, or just trying these me

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This thread is making me think that my issue w/DD is that she is overtired...I dont want to do CIO either but as of now we co-sleep in her room and she is taking up to like 2hrs to fall asleep. Its killing me because I have to be up for work so early. I h
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"