Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Weaning down from 4 nursing sessions to 3 - not interested in bottle or sippy?

Hi -

I have slowly started weaning my daughter off the breast.  She has been EBF since day one.  My goal was to get to one year and we are only a few weeks away so I want to start gradually weaning her off the breast and then transition her to WCM.  She has been nursing 4/day - 7am, 10am, 3pm, 7pm (approximately).  I decided to start by cutting out the 10am feeding first.  I have tried replacing that feeding with a snack and sippy cup of breastmilk.  She usually will have the snack - some banana or cheese or rice cake, etc. - but wants NOTHING to do with the sippy cup of breastmilk!  She drinks water from the sippy cup just fine but the minute she put the cup to her mouth and tastes the breastmilk, she throws the cup across the floor and wants nothing to do with it.  So, what do I do?  If that nursing session doesn't get replaced by a sippy cup or bottle of 5-7 oz of breastmilk, does that mean she isn't getting enough milk for the day?  Like I said, she will have a snack and some water if I offer that to her but doens't want breastmilk out of a sippy.  I don't necessarily want to offer her the breast because that kind of defeats the whole purpose.  I could put the breastmilk in a bottle and try that but again, don't want to wean her to a bottle only to have to eventually wean her again off the bottle.  Is it ok if we remove that 10am session and it is just replaced by a snack and water?  How can I get her to accept breakmilk in her sippy? 

Thank you in advance for any advice you have to share:).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weaning down from 4 nursing sessions to 3 - not interested in bottle or sippy?

• Options
    If she is nursing at least three times a day I would not worry. I do have one question have you tried warming the breastmilk? If she normally does not receive bottles it may be that the breastmilk is too cold for her
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Have you tried using a different cup (ie a straw cup or regular cup)?...maybe she associates her current sippy cup with water only?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aciaacia member

Like you, my daughter still nurses 4-5 times a day/night, but won't take breastmilk in a cup (despite drinking water no problem). However she loves smoothies, so I've made her a blueberry/banana/breastmilk/yogurt smoothie and she'll drink that.</

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageacia:

Like you, my daughter still nurses 4-5 times a day/night, but won't take breastmilk in a cup (despite drinking water n

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"