Natural Birth

Big Babies

Working on collecting information to best prepare myself for my next pregnancy/delivery.  I was induced with my last baby because they thought he was going to be ginormous, he was 9 lbs 6 oz, trying to avoid a repeat.  

I know everyone is different and again, just working on collecting as much info as possible so I'm wondering- if you delivered a big baby- what position did you deliver in? Also, delivering in the water isn't an option for me, so if you delivered in the water, I'm jealous, but I'm really more interested in people who delivered out of the water.  TIA for any info you can provide! 

Re: Big Babies

• What do you consider big? My daughter was 9 lbs 2 oz and my son was 8 lbs 12 oz. I was semi-sitting with both of them, no tearing.
  • imagemaelli3:
    What do you consider big? My daughter was 9 lbs 2 oz and my son was 8 lbs 12 oz. I was semi-sitting with both of them
  • Loading the player...
  • With my VBAC I pushed kneeling beside the bed. DH was on the bed and I pulled up while at the same time bearing down. I did get 2nd degree tears but that was because I couldn't stop when my OB asked me to. DS was 8 7.5.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • AmyRIAmyRI member
    Both times I was most comfortable pushing semi-reclined, laying on my back, pulling my head up and knees back while I pushed. I know it's not the best position, but I pushed only 15 minutes with DS (8lb, properly positioned, small tear because I went too
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • My DS was 9lb, 9oz. I pushed for a long time, in a lot of different positions, but ended up delivering him while sitting on the toilet.

My DD was 8lbs, 8oz. I pushed for less than 5 minutes. I delivered her while squatting, my feet on the floor

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Eleanor was 10 lbs even.  I started out pushing in the water (semi-seated) but she got stuck on push one once her head was out.  We tried another push with me more tucked and then hopped out of the tub.  One more push on hands and knees

• What pp said about trying to labor in water. I honestly think that's what kept me from tearing more. That and I alternated between squats and hands and knees and delivered on my hands and knees. But the water helps it stretch gently instead of tearing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS2 was 9lbs.  I did most of the pushing on my knees, with my arms holding onto the hospital bed, which was completely upright.  I delivered him in the typical position, with my husband and doula holding a leg and laying on my back.  
  • DD1 was 9lbs..I started pushing in the water, then moved to the bed because MW thought she was stuck. In both spaces, I was semi-reclined. Took 1 1/2 hrs and needed 2 stitches.

DD2 was 10lbs 2oz. I started off standing, then on my knees, then fla

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• imagegreengirl0909:

I'd say your "little ones" count as big babies!  I guess I'm thinking 8#s plus.  

</BLOCK
  • imageoverture:
    imagegreengirl090
  • I was on my back in the bathtub (unintended) for my 8lb 4oz baby and I did tear. This time, I would like to try all fours or side lying..I hope it feels ok that way, because I'm likely to tear less that way.
  • imagegreengirl0909:
    imageovertur
  • DD was born 9lbs even with a head in the 97 percentile. I delivered in the hospital position on my back with my legs pulled to my chest. I pushed for 2 hours and had more success when told to push towards the ceiling. I had a 2nd degree tear and apart fr
    BFP #1 - 2/5/2010 - c/p 2/9/2010, BFP #2 - 6/20/2010 - DD Born 2/26/2011, BFP #3 - 9/13/2012 - c/p 9/20/2012, BFP #4 - 11/11/2012 - betas: 53 on 11/13, 115 on 11/15, 8069 on 11/26 - u/s shows 127 bpm! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey, I think I remember you from your last pregnancy!

Anyhoo, my second son was 10lb, 10oz, and I was semi-reclining for most of pushing. I was upright for a good amount of labor (up until transition), which I think helped speed up labor.  <

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"