C-sections

Feeling disconnected

Our first LO arrived via emergency c section after several hours of pushing. I was given a drug to put me to sleep through the procedure because there was a problem with the epidural.

She is absolutely perfect in every single way, we are absolutely in love with her and are so thankful she is here. But I can't help but feel a little disconnected though, it's hard to explain...but I'm wondering if it's because I missed out on seeing her birth...I was really looking forward to that skin to skin contact after a vaginal birth, but I also missed the peek over the curtain, face snuggles after the c-section. I was taken to recovery afterwards then up to our postpartum room. By the time I saw her, it was 3 hours later...she was bathed, diapered, clothed, warm and sleeping.

Maybe every FTM goes through some kind of phase of disbelief...but I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this? Angin, I'm so thankful that she is here, happy and healthy but I feel like I missed out. Anyone else? 

Re: Feeling disconnected

• It is SO strange to be put to sleep in a rush (while thinking you *might* lose your baby, and realizing you are about to undergo major surgery!), then wake up to a clean, perfect little baby. You fall asleep and BAM. You're a mom. Been there. Done that

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Neither of my deliveries went as I expected/hoped.  I did feel very disconnected with DS for a long time.  I think a lot of it was because I was in severe pain from a very bad 3rd degree tear.  It took me about 6 weeks to bond with him,

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's a completely normal feeling, lots of my friends said it took weeks before they really felt a connection with their little one's, c-section or vaginal birth.  hang in there, momma, it'll come!  It sounds like you have a great outlook
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Almost all of what you said it what I went through or felt. 

I had a c-section after 26 hours of labor and as they were "putting me back together" I started to have an anxiety attack because of the tugging and pulling. I was on the ver

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so so so so much!! I think the whole thing was more confusing than anything....being told the drug would make me sleepy, then the next thing I knew I was feeling my arm slip off that side part of the bed and the anesthesiologist was congratul

• I had a c/s with general anesthesia with my first baby. It is such a strange feeling. In my case I didn't labor at all so I just went from pregnant woman to mom. I woke up in pain, unable to speak (sore throat from the tube that had been down my throat

DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • You are definitely not alone with these feelings. Honestly it took me until the birth of my second child to feel better about the birth of my first. He was an attempted vbac and his delivery was exactly the same as my daughter. It made me feel as thoug
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I had an unplanned c/s with DS1 (though I wasn't put under general anesthesia), and then he was hospitalized unexpectedly for a week after his birth. Both situations weren't ideal, but the combination of the two were really hard to deal with, especiall

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I completely understand. I had an emergency c section 10 days ago and was also given general anesthesia. I have been feeling the same way. I didn't even get to labor for more than a couple of hours before things went downhill and I was rushed into surgery
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"