Birthday Parties
Options

Birthday party likes and dislikes

What do you think makes a good birthday party? Are there any trends or themes that you don't like?

I went to one where the birthday girl didn't open her gifts. That was a little disappointing. They had yummy catered food though, so that made up for it. 

Re: Birthday party likes and dislikes

• Options

I've never seen kids open presents at birthday parties either.  I actually prefer that.  Most of the parties I go to are not at someone's house, so we are limited to 2 hours.  If 30 minutes of that 2 hours is spent watching presents bein

• Options

It's good to know that opening presents is not a thing. I don't have too many friends with kids, so I don't know much about expectations. I guess I just remember opening gifts from when I was a kid. That's why I need some feedback on this question, so

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The best parties I have been to have been just an hour of free play at either a playground, indoor playground, play place, whatever followed by 30 minutes of pizza/lunch of some sort with cake.  1.5 hours tops and done.  My DS always loves those
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree no present opening this young because really it's just parents opening and trying to keep LO focused--a losing battle. 

I think if you're not going to serve a meal that's fine but make it a 2-4 type time frame when a meal is not expe

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageMegispreg:

It's good to know that opening presents is not a thing. I don't have too many friends with kids, so I don't know mu

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Options
    nah82nah82 member
    imagecole2144:
    imageMegispreg:</
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

For me, I don't like when parties have just snacks.  Most parties are around a meal time, and as such I do appreciate a main at any birthday we attend.

I like a gift opening when the party is at home, at a venue I don't always think it

• Options
    nah82nah82 member

imagedor79:
    Also, I do not really like super early birthday parties.  10 am on a Saturday or Sunday just is not a fu
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

DS will be 3 in June.

Nobody opens presents in our group of friends and I prefer that-kids not fighting over a toy, ripped open boxes etc.  I like to open them with DS post party so that I know what he got, make sure that he does have duplic

• Options

imagechocolatechip06:

DS will be 3 in June.

Nobody opens presents in our group of friends and I prefer that-kids not f

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The opening presents debate is interesting. Clearly seems to be specific to region/group of friends. Maybe this will become this board's "hot button issue." Ha!

• Options
    imageMegispreg:

The opening presents debate is interesting. Clearly seems to be specific to region/group of friends. Maybe this wil

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Options

Likes: Short and sweet, some activity to keep kids busy (park, play area, bounce house, whatever), serve a normal meal during meal time and bonus points for having food for parents, and then wrap it up and get out!

Dis-Likes: opening presents (bo

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    nah82nah82 member
    imagecole2144:
  • Options

Haha to pp's "Hot button issue" comment!

Themes

Good food (it does not matter if it is a full meal, just make it yummy)

Adult drinks and bottled water

Music

A take home something for the LOs

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagenamcgee:
    imagecole2144:</st

• Options
    imagecole2144:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you have over 5 guests and are not over the age of 5, gift openings are a horrible experience for everybody. We never do them. 

I think a good birthday has a good theme that is well executed, though not TOO over done. Fun activities, but

• Options
    imagecole2144:
  • Options
    imagecole2144:
  • Options

I'm in the no present opening camp.  With little kids, I have seen it get terrible when other kids want to play with the presents, think that what they brought is theirs, not want to stop playing to watch the birthday kid open everything, when eve

• Options
    Where I live, New England, Kid's always open gifts at parties. They love ripping them open, it's hard to keep them away from the gifts. Also older adults, like my mom for instance, will insist that her present be opened, and she hates when the parents ope
  • Options
    imageBeckyTheEngineer:

Other dislike is parties through our sacred 12-2 nap time, and parties outdoors with no shade whe

• Options
    I personally can't stand watching people open presents. We did not do gift opening at DD's party. One, because it would have just been me opening her presents for her or it would take forever and two because I am just not a fan of it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageKateMW:
    imagecole2144:</str

• Options
    imagecole2144:
    imageKateMW:</str
  • Options
    first visit to this board... and it's funny as DH and I are split over this exact issue!  Open vs don't open!  I say open as lil kids want to see their gift opened regardless of it being a t shirt or a super soaker.  Where DH thinks that li
  • Options
    imageKateMW:
    imagecole2144:</str

• Options
    imageMandJS:
    imageKateMW:</stron
  • Options

We are in NJ, and I have never been to a party where kids didn't open presents. Actually, last year for her first birthday party--we were trying to skip it--because it was just adults and friends really--and a bunch of people (aunts, uncles) wanted us

My daughter is my hero.
  • Options

I like when people open gifts at the party. I put a lot of thought into what I get for people so I like to see if they like it or not. Since a lot of my friends don't seem to bother to write thank you notes anymore, if they don't open it in front of me

• Options

I think the best and most successful parties have been when the host/hostess takes their guests/audience into consideration. For example, if it's a party for kids over 2, having some organized activities or games/crafts goes a long way, whereas if it's

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options

I have never been to a birthday party where the kid opened the gifts after the party. It must be regional, but it would be considered weird and rude here.

I like parties that are either 10 - 12 or 2/3 - 4/5. I hate it when people schedule during

• Options
    imageNotwifezilla7:

I think the best and most successful parties have been when the host/hostess takes their guests/audience into c

• Options

like: safe enclosed area for kids, good food and drinks for parents

dislike: th eopposite of the above

On the gifts, I like to see my gifts opened but it only makes sense for parties held at home.  I cant imagine opening and

• Options
    I'd rather not see the kid open presents mostly because they're little and if they don't show interest in what I gifted I'd feel a little awkward/bad that I didn't get a good gift.
  • Options
    image-auntie-:
    imagenamcgee:</st

• Options

I've never seen a child open gifts at a party. But most of the kids I know are under 5. I live in SC. 

DS is a meticulous present opener. I'm talking 3 hours to open 5 presents. He opens, then plays with it and forgets about other gifts. So

• Options
    I'm from IN and I've never been to a party where gifts weren't opened. Now that I'm reading all of this, I am torn. It is extremely difficult for me to keep DD on my lap while I open her presents and she doesn't have some grand reaction but at the same ti
  • Options

Likes: Themes (simple or complicated) or at least some sort of cohesiveness that sets it apart from a regular run-of-the-mill party.  Cute little desserts, thoughtful favors, age-appropriate activities, and good food.

Dislikes: potlucks and

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"