Pregnant after 35
Options

Fetal echo--who has had one?

I know at least a few of you have experience with this. I'm trying to figure out if I should have a fetal echo or not. Here's the dealio: at my MW appointment today, she mentioned that because I have two heart defects (bicuspid AV and PFO, for those playing along at home), there is a chance (she did not say how big a chance) that my son could have heart defects as well. She offered to set up an appointment for a consult with an MFM to talk about having a fetal echo. (Apparently the fetal echo itself would require still another appointment with someone else, yaaay.) I guess the concern is that if he also has either of these heart defects (or different ones), birth could be tougher on him and/or corrective action (i.e., surgery) could be required at some point after he is born.

On the plus side, knowledge is power, and if something is wrong, I'd much rather know about it in advance. However, there are three things making me hesitate. First, I feel very confident that nothing IS wrong. They saw nothing at my anatomy scan, and they took a very close, long look at his heart. He has been incredibly normal and average in his development throughout the pregnancy. If his heart were messed up, wouldn't it have come through somehow in the umpteen measurements/NSTs/BPPs I have had? Second, I have lived a completely normal life with these defects. If I had not had a TIA six years ago, I never would have known I had them to begin with. These defects would have to be orders of magnitude worse in my son to have any impact on his quality of life. And third, I hate to admit it, but the cost is totally stressing me out. Even if my insurance approves it, the whole thing will probably fall under the deductible, which means I will pay every flippin' penny of the bill out of pocket. Is it worth $2000 to know nothing is wrong? How about $1000? How much am I willing to pay to confirm something I already firmly believe to be true?

My choices are as follows: a) Cancel the MFM appointment and just stop the madness right here. b) See the MFM and get hit with whatever he bills me for opening his mouth to talk to me (I am sure just the consult will run at least $200). Find out how much the fetal echo would cost and what the probability is that my son would have a heart defect and go from there. c) Suck it up, do the consult and the echo, and pay however many kabillion dollars it ends up costing me. (Savings are for wussies anyway.)

Given the recent tragedy I described in the check-in thread, I am trying to not be a cynical beyotch here, but at what point does the cost outweigh any possible benefit?

Any thoughts appreciated, including ones where you tell me I'm being a total douchecanoe.

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.

Re: Fetal echo--who has had one?

• Options

It sucks that money has to be a factor at all. I'm sorry you have such a high deductible.

I've never had a reason to be referred for a fetal echo myself. In your situation, I'd go for option B and bring up all the points you've mentioned in the p

Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • Options
    I do not have experience with this but I just wanted to say don't feel bad that the money matters because it does. It makes sense that you should feel confident that nothing is wrong at this point. It's the doctors job to imagine worst case scenario and
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, we had a fetal echo with our son who is now 3 years old. Even if your deductible is high, won't you hit that (and more) with the hospital fees for birth (which are not covered by your global maternity fee charged by your OB)?

To answer your

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options

Really, this is a question that only you can answer. If you are okay with waiting until after birth to find out, then wait. If you feel the money is worth the knowledge, then go.

I don't think you are being a douchecanoe or fruga

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMAtoNC:

Our echo came back clean. Had it discovered a defect or anomaly, we would have delivered at a different hospital an

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would feel the exact same way in your shoes and understand how you are torn. I have no advice, but want to wish you the best whatever you decide!
  • Options

I know the stress of "maybes" and financial considerations.  This was so much easier 5 years ago before the cost of insurance went craaaazy.  Start to finish, my pg cost me $500.  Amazing.  

Anywa

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I would go with option B or C.  The ultrasounds/NSTs miss a lot of heart problems.  I was just reading a news article a few days ago about a little boy who didn't have his heart defect detected until after he was born (he is now a healthy 18

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Options

I don't think you're being douchecanoe-y at all.  If I had to pay that much out of pocket, it would stress me out too.  I guess the question would be how much are you willing to pay for definite peace of mind even when your instincts say noth

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks so much for the replies, everyone. They have been extremely helpful and quite an eye-opener (stuff going undetected until baby was born, etc.). And you were all very nice and not mean at all, so thank you. I took the bull by the horns this after

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"