March 2012 Moms
Options

First birthday related rant...

So, the big first birthday party is this weekend.  I made sure to let closest family members (grandparents, my sister and husband's 2 sisters) know the date about 2 months ahead so I could make sure there weren't scheduling conflicts.  Everyone said that date was good.

Husband checks his voicemail this past Sunday to get a voicemail from his sister that she and her husband would not be coming because they have decided to remodel their laundry room and that was the first day the guy working on it would be available.  Really?  They couldn't say, well, we were planning on going to our nephew's first birthday party that day so let's start the next week?  I am irked.  I know a first birthday isn't nearly as important to everyone else as it is to the parents, but to me, this is a lame excuse.

When it was my oldest son's first birthday (her first and only nephew at that time), she didn't bother to RSVP at all or come either.  Then she posted on her facebook that day that she was going to put up her Christmas tree and sit around.  His other sister didn't come either.  When his 2nd bday came around, we decided to just invite my side of the family + his mom because it appeared that she was the only one who cared to come anyway so they decided that was the perfect day to go wedding dress shopping and MIL went shopping instead.  This past year for his 3rd birthday, I invited his whole side including great aunt and uncle.  Everyone came but this same sister whose husband had to do the Polar Plunge that day.  So she has never once come to my kids birthdays and they are her only nephews.

Yet at Christmas (baby's first) she expected us to tear our boys away from their toys on Christmas morning, pack up and drive the 1 1/2 hours to be at her house in time for lunch.  When I was 38 weeks pregnant with my oldest, she expected us to travel to her house for Thanksgiving (I was in the hospital having him the very Monday following Thanksgiving).  But I would hate to see her wait a week to start on her laundry room just because her nephew is having the only first birthday he'll ever have, you know?

After growing up with tons of super close aunts, uncles, and cousins on both sides of my family it makes me really sad that neither of my SILs are really interested at all in being aunties to my boys.  They never call or come to visit; we only see them on holidays at their moms house.  I heard from the other one briefly last fall because she was getting married and needed a ring bearer, she asked how he was doing then.  Yes, I am bitter.  Thank goodness my sister is an awesome aunt, even though she lives 3 hours away.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: First birthday related rant...

• Options
    WipzWipz member
    I'm sorry that your IL's suck.. but it's no big loss and I am sure you have close friends you consider family who would make much better "Aunts and Uncles" anyway... it's their loss.  and quite honestly I'd stop traipsing around to other places and d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry your SIL's are such crappy aunts :( It's really their loss. My SIL (DS's only aunt) didn't come to DS's party either. She had friends in town from out of state and went wine tasting with them instead. I get that it was friends she rarely see
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My SIL isn't a kid person either.  On the rare occasion that she's at our house, she gives our dog more attention than DD.  It really bothers me a lot.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That is really crummy. There are way too many people who are only worried about things if it is about them. I say include your family in your kids events or include both sides and just have ZERO expectations for his family from here on out. That is wha

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    What crappy aunts, that really sucks. I understand why that would upset you. I love my nieces and nephew so much and I know how lucky I am to have them in my life! It's sad that your SILs don't feel that way about your DS. As PPs said, it's their loss, an
  • Options
    nah82nah82 member

Thanks for listening to me complain, ladies.

imageWipz:
    quite honestly I'd stop traipsing around to other places and do your
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"