December 2010 Moms
Options

Challenge Q: scissors and knives

When will you let your LO play with scissors and knives?  I don't mean running with them, but using kid scissors to cut construction paper or knives to cut playdoh - supervised play, I guess.

Do you already let them do this?

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.

Re: Challenge Q: scissors and knives

• Options

Her Play Doh set came with plastic knives, we let her use those.

She has safety scissors, but as far as I can tell doesn't really get how they work and I'm fine with that.  I'm pretty sure they use them at daycare though. Again, not sure s

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options
    DD used scissors with supervision at DC, but we've not used them at home.  And we've not let her use a real or play knife yet... unless you count when she grabbed the one that I had set down so that she could lick the butter off of it.
    image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A hasn't played with scissor or play knives yet.  I did buy a pack of "safety" scissors the other day at hobby lobby. Does straight edge cut and 2 pattern cuts.  But I'm waiting a bit, he hasn't shown too much interest in paper crafts yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm probably going to wait until he's in preschool to introduce scissors at home as well. I saw them playing with them in the school when I visited.

I don't really let him use knives because I don't want him to get the idea that all knives are ok

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    J does not use them yet. I haven't thought about it. I think I will wait until he is at least 3 before I give him scissors.

• Options
    I think they might occasionally use scissors at school but we might wait a bit for home use.  I remind him that only adults use knives, even when he uses something else and tells me it's his "knife".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have not really thought about scissors. She does get a plastic knife at my mom but only becuase she has a placement that shows where the plate, cup, fork, spoon etc go. She flips out if a space is empty including the knife space. 
  • Options

DS has a Gerber knife that came with a utensil set. We cut food with it together. I don't give it to him by default, but he always ends up asking for his knife, which is pretty funny! Or if I ask him if he wants to use a fork or spoon, he'll say, "and

• Options
    Ava has some plastic knives that came with her play utensil set for her kitchen. She's shown zero interest in safety scissors so I'm thinking we'll give it a couple more months before we introduce those again. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I haven't handed DS scissors yet, but they have them for use at daycare in the next-step classroom, which is where he is from 5pm until I pick him up. I saw him using them once and it freaked me out because he got mad and tried yanking them away from a

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options
    Hadn't really thought about this. We have plastic knives that came with his play do that he uses but I think I'm scared if scissors.
  • Options
    Non-sharp knives to cut food/playdough he can have. Scissors = eek! Is that an upcoming skill they need already?!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was really surprised that daycare was doing scissors and how well he was doing with them....so I tried to find a pair like theirs, but I'm not as good at helping him use them, so this is something I'm letting daycare do.

He has a wooden k

• Options
    kj07kj07 member

B helps me empty the dishwasher, which includes the silverware.  I check for sharp knives/peelers or whatever, but do let him take out the regular flatware knives.  He loves to grab one and go "Cuuuuuttttt" in this guttural voice as he uses i

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"