Natural Birth
Options

The Bradley Method

Hi Everyone! I've been lurking here for a little while, but never posted. I XP on the July board but I'm hoping to get some specific advice.  

I've been researching and I'm really leaning toward the Bradley Method...problem is there are no classes offered within a 50 mile radius of my home. I'm very disappointed. :(

Next plan of attack would be to buy the book and just go through everything ourselves. Hubby said he'd be willing to sit down with me one day a week and go through a section each night. I guess my question is, do you think that will be sufficient? BTDT moms- did anyone only read the book and if so, was that enough preparation to get through naturally?

I really think this could be the way for us to get through naturally. I am not very receptive to pain...but I'm also not keen on the epidural idea AT ALL.

Anyway, if anyone has used the Bradley Method and can give any tips or tricks...or words of advice if i'm planning on just using the book. Also, which book to buy? There are 2 I believe- do I need both?

Thank you!! :)

Re: The Bradley Method

• Options

Are there other class options offered more locally? Have you considered hiring a doula?

I'm sure you'll make it just fine with just a book for guidance, but I can't speak highly enough of having a doula. 

• Options
    I never took any classes because I'm a cheapo lol. I read the book a few weeks before I went into labor, and DH read the coaching chapters of the book. I read a lot on the NB board here and googled and read a lot on natural birth. I was able to do it conf
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We used just books, no classes, and had a wonderful husband coached labor (midwife ended up coaching contractions once we got to hospital). There are other similar posts on this board now for more details.

As for hiring a doula, I know many

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I was in a similar position as you. I ordered the books and DH and I went through them, but when the time came, we were not successful and I ended up asked for an epidural at 5cm.  God willing we get to have another baby, we'll do whatever we need to
  • Options

I only read books, for the same reason.  I was so happy with my unmedicated birth experience that I took the training to become an instructor for my area.  I think if you are a good independent learner you can absolutely do it with only the b

image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that a doula could be really helpful. I didn't have one with DD, but I felt the classes we took and reasearch we did prepared us well. We are both strong willed which also helped.

I used water sound CDs during labor abd labored a lot
    BFP #1 - 2/5/2010 - c/p 2/9/2010, BFP #2 - 6/20/2010 - DD Born 2/26/2011, BFP #3 - 9/13/2012 - c/p 9/20/2012, BFP #4 - 11/11/2012 - betas: 53 on 11/13, 115 on 11/15, 8069 on 11/26 - u/s shows 127 bpm! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We did the Bradley classes and loved them.  They were great at educating H on child birth and teaching him how to be a great coach.  With that being said, I do not think the classes are essential.  If your H will sit down and read over the
  • Options

imageaylafsu88:
    We did the Bradley classes and loved them.  They were great at educating H on child birth and teaching him how
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We bought both books the newer "husband coached childbirth" is a sales pitch, and doesnt teach you much. I found it extremely frustrating, it tells you what you will learn in their class! Grrr. The old one is great, shows you how to do everything, through
  • Options

If you're really interested in a class, one option is to look at a Lamaze class. I am not totally sure, but as I've known my doula for about two years now, who is Lamaze certified, head of our ICAN chapter (for VBACs) and an excellent childbirth educat

• Options

We finished our Bradley Method class two weeks ago and it was, for us, a wonderful decision to take the class. With the class, you do get a workbook that is helpful and we also received articles and printouts each week that we read. However, if a class

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"