Birth Stories
Options

Team Green Birth Story (Long)

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

My husband and I had wanted the gender of our first baby to be a surprise, but the doctor spoiled it at my 34 week ultrasound when he asked if I wanted to have my son circumsized. For #2, every time someone even touched my belly, I told them that we didn?t want to know the sex!

My first son was also born right on his due date, so I expected #2 to come on time?or even a little early, especially since I?d had some symptoms of pre-term labor and was on bed rest from 29 weeks on.  Well, my due date came and went, and . . . nothing. My in-laws were in town, but were leaving four days after the due date, so the pressure was on!

Of course, at the same time, my husband was insanely busy at work. His company was launching a rocket and a capsule to restock the space station. The capsule was supposed to dock at 3 am on Saturday morning, but there were some problems, and the docking was delayed by a day?to 3 am on Sunday morning. Because of the problems, he?d pretty much been working around the clock for 36 hours before I went into labor.

At 12:10 am on Sunday morning, I woke up to go to the bathroom, and my water broke. At first, I wasn?t sure if it was my water, because it wasn?t gushing out. After about an hour of slow leaking, though, I decided that it was better to go to the hospital and find out. I called my in-laws, who came over to drive me and stay with our two-year-old.

We got to the hospital around 2 am on 3/3/13, and the nurse confirmed that my water had broken. I had told my husband what was going on, and as soon as the Canadarm grabbed the space capsule, he stood up and walked out of the mission control center and came straight to the hospital. He arrived a little bit after 3 am.

The nurse let me labor on my own until about 6 am. I wasn?t having regular or strong contractions, so they started me on Pitocin. An hour later, they upped the dose, and the contractions started getting uncomfortable. I got an epidural around 9 am, at which point I was dilated 2 cm.

Within about an hour and a half of getting the epidural, I was having very strong contractions. I started to feel like I had to go to the restroom, and I yelled at my husband to call the nurse. She came in, said it was probably nothing, and I insisted that they check me. All of a sudden, she was yelling for the doctor because the head was right there!

I think my epidural either wasn?t strong enough, or it had already started to wear off, because I could definitely feel the contractions. When they told me to look down and see the head, and I could hardly open my eyes through the pain.

The baby came pretty quickly, and my husband announced, ?It?s a boy!? The doctor stitched me while Baby Owen was on my chest (the stitching hurt, even though it was just a second-degree tear) and my in-laws made it over to see him before they had to fly out.

My recovery has been pretty easy compared to DS #1, and Owen is a mellow little baby. We feel very blessed with our two boys.

You can see pictures here: https://lovebucketphoto.com/blog/owen-1/

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Team Green Birth Story (Long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"