Pregnant after 35
Options

MaterniT21 test twice

Hi ladies,

I did the MaterniT21 test at 10w4d and they told me that the test could not be done because I didn't have enough fetal DNA in my blood. Ok, I knew that there was a chance of this happening, since it was early on. So I took another one at 12w5d and the same thing happened again!! I am now 15w4d and have missed the window for the sequential screening which totally bummes me out. My question is, has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know if there is a chance that I will just never have enough fetal DNA in my blood for the test to be completed? Should I even bother trying a third time and go straight to the amnio? I really wanted to avoid that....

Thanks all!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MaterniT21 test twice

• Options
    What is the window? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    as far as I know the NT scan is done around 12 weeks while the neck of the baby is still translucant... that NT scan in combination with a blood test at 16 weeks(?) is called the sequential screen test.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Did you talk to the genetic counselor or the lab that does the blood draw for the MaterniT21 test? That sounds like a rare occurrence to me... at least according to the info I was given when I had mine done (if I'm remembering correctly-- it was a while a
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Options
    I opted not to have mine done, then at my 21 week ultrasound they detected a small calcium deposit . The condition they called it was echogenic intracardiac focus which can sometimes be a soft marker for downs so I was told I could still take to T21 blood
  • Options

Thanks Daniel, my appointment with my genetic counselor is today. And you are right, we have nothing to lose, so we decided to do the MaterniT21 again and at the same time do the Quad test as a backup.

• Options
    Thanks Susie. Glad to hear all is well with with your little baby boy! :)
  • Options
    That sounds odd to me.  I had mine done at exactly 10 weeks without any problems.  I would wonder about the lab who is running the test.   I'd probably ask your Dr. about it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Well that is strange but I would probably just do it again too.  Either way I would skip the amino because of the risk but that is up to what you are comfortable with.  You will have your a/s soon enough too.  Good luck!
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • Options
    Maybe switch to the verifi genetic test or try the Maternity 21 again. You can still do the free-cell DNA tests at your stage. 
  • Options

I had my first draw at 11.5 weeks and it came back as "not enough fetal DNA", so they had to redraw at 13.5 weeks. This result was conclusive.

I would probably try one more time. At 15 weeks, you should have no problem.&nbsp

• Options

My doc offered it to me yesterday at 17 weeks, so it's not too late.   

• Options

Thanks for all your feedback. We saw our genetic counselor again two days ago, she had spoken to the lab and they told her that only about 1 % of all tests can't be completed due to not enough fetal dna in the blood. Of those 1 % who retested only a fr

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"